How does everyone actually sell their equipment? What's the easiest/safest way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Nygren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm just curious as to how everyone else sells their equipment from this forum. I have two brand new (nver used) ikelite Pro V8 LED video lights I bought for my gopro, I even have a complete set of spare rechargable batteries and charger for each. However I ended up getting the complete setup for my SLR, and now have two ikelite DS-161's and have no use for the Pro V8 LED's.

I can respond as someone who has bought gear from the classifieds here (although I have not sold it). What I look for:

1) Clear description, including (as applicable) things like size, year new, service history, condition (including flaws), and price. Photographs are immensely helpful. If you have taken good care of the item, tell me how (soaked after ever use, stored in climate-controlled room, etc.).

2) I like to see what payment types will be accepted, whether or not the price includes shipping, the location of the item, etc.

3) And finally, although it's not at all necessary, sometimes it's nice to know why the item is being sold. Again, not necessary, and if it's "none of my business" that is fine; but on the other hand, something like "bought this for my spouse and it didn't fit," or "I loved this X but I decided I wanted Y feature it didn't have so I bought another model - same brand" really does help when as a buyer you are trying to figure out what you might be getting. I guess it humanizes it.

I typically don't respond to ads that don't list a price, even if it's something I'm specifically looking for.

Blue Sparkle

I typically don't respond to ads that don't list a price, even if it's something I'm specifically looking for.

Blue Sparkle

I wouldn't be too hung up on this bit. . . just ask. It's amazing how many times that is an "Oh, yeah!" moment for the seller. :wink:

Just my own policy based on my experience (not just with Scuba gear). That doesn't mean an item won't sell though, as many other folks may just ask, as you say.

Thanks for the selling advice everyone, but I'm looking for more of an answer as to how everyone does the transactions, ebay? Paypal?

Following all the advice above - just post it here. I take PayPal without any extra charges, but some people ask for the fees. I will sometime include shipping or pass on the cost of shipping directly to the buyer. I only put stuff on eBay if it won't sell here and I want to get rid of it. Using eBay for the transaction you post here only adds to your costs.

Thanks for the selling advice everyone, but I'm looking for more of an answer as to how everyone does the transactions, ebay? Paypal?

Usually paypal, check, or money order. I've done all three as both buyer and seller. Paypal is instant so the item can ship the same day or the day after. Money orders take a little longer because of the mail. Checks take even longer since I won't ship until it clears unless I know the person (even if only by reputation). If you're going to list on ebay, then list on ebay. I, and I think most people, won't click on the ebay links here. I'd rather just see the item sold through the forum and avoid the additional fees and hassle of ebay. If I want something from ebay I search there anyway.

Back
Top Bottom