MV Orion - very disappointing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband and I travelled halfway around the world to experience a world-class, luxury liveaboard with the Orion for our 10 year anniversary. It may have been an off week, but the diving experience was disappointing and at times even dangerous. Some of the more major issues: up to 10 divers with 1 guide; at least 5 divers put on Nitrox who were not certified, given training, or given a choice; several such individuals had completed several dives before even being told they were on Nitrox; after clearly reserving dive computers for my husband and I, there were none available for our first few dives; there were issues with broken and run-down equipment; for new divers such as ourselves we were left to take care of ourselves and received little care or attention even when we repeatedly asked for basic help; there was a scary lack of organization or accountability with the dive guides (besides the chaos on the boat, the same folks also left two fellow passengers behind at the airport after they checked in -- these passengers had to find their own way to the boat after waiting for hours). Additionally, one of the reasons I chose the Orion was for the onboard masseuse. There was no masseuse on the boat, nor an explanation why. With all of these issues (and plenty more), we were still nickle-and-dimed for extra expenses at the end of the week, and certainly never received any discounts, even for the basic rentals that were not even available for a portion of the trip due to package pricing! On the bright side, the Orion itself was very nice and service onboard was good. We also had the pleasure of diving with plenty of whale sharks, mantas, and even found ourselves surfacing amongst a huge pod of dolphins!

Good to hear back from the Orion on this, and so glad they are finally following-up. I was very clear with our concerns during our recent trip with the acting manager, as were many of the other divers. I also left very specific feedback on our customer survey at the end of the stay. I know that most of the other passengers did the same that week as there were so many issues that concerned us all. I will follow-up with the Orion again and report back...

Another liveaboard complaint. They seem to be a regular complaint these days. At least you didn't have rats like was reported on a Dancer boat.

Another liveaboard complaint. They seem to be a regular complaint these days.

Maybe it is because of what people expect for the dollars paid :idk:. A liveaboard is typically more money than most dive vacations (I am not debating the worth here....just stating a fact) so maybe people expect more than they maybe should. Just spitballin'.....

Except the liveaboards promote themselves as luxury. When one does that the customers expect that. Which begs the question, are the liveaboards promoting more than they can deliver? If so, its fraud.

Maybe it is because of what people expect for the dollars paid :idk:. A liveaboard is typically more money than most dive vacations (I am not debating the worth here....just stating a fact) so maybe people expect more than they maybe should. Just spitballin'.....

The OP had some legitimate complaints that are being dealt with. We will leave it at that for now so people understand that this thread is talking about an isolated (one charter on one liveaboard) event, so we would rather not turn it into a live aboard debate thread if possible.

Feel free to start another thread for that though. :wink:

The OP had some legitimate complaints that are being dealt with. We will leave it at that for now so people understand that this thread is talking about an isolated (one charter on one liveaboard) event, so we would rather not turn it into a live aboard debate thread if possible.

Feel free to start another thread for that though. :wink:

Makes Sense. Up Up and AWAY I go

Chicagoshark reporting back to followers of my original posting...

I am pleased to let everyone know that Orion management has been extremely thoughtful in responding to the concerns from our recent trip. They are taking feedback from myself and other passengers from our trip very seriously, and it looks like they are taking very real steps to improve operations and communication, and taking care that such issues are not repeated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom