Etiquette regarding found items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STartar

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I did some searching and didn't really find an answer to my questions. If this is not the correct place for these questions, please point me in the correct direction.

1. If I find something, non diving related, and I can't tell the owner by looking at it, is there a "diving code" around finding the owner vs. keeping the item.
2. Does "treasure hunting" high traffic areas for items of value create a negative name for divers that engage in such behaviors or is this considered "acceptable". I don't want to become one of "those" guys :)

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.

Finding something underwater non diving related is not much different than if you were to find it on land. Very valuable items I'd at least try to find the owner. There are a few areas I dive that are frequented by swimmers. Many times drunk ones. Often times items like sunglasses, hair clips, etc turn up. Maybe some jewelry (usually cheap costume stuff). Sometimes I don't even bother picking it up. Other times being told you are a rock star by an inebriated yet attractive scantily clad young woman for finding her sunglasses and a handing her a cheap plastic tiara that was also down there is kinda cool!

Treasure hunting though is a whole nother ball game. If you are actually looking for valuables my motto if there is no immediate evidence of ownership is finders keepers. Just keep your mouth shut. Cause if Spain hears you found something valauble they will try and steal it from you.

Last edited:
only your conscience can answer this for you....

only your conscience can answer this for you....
That, plus what you can get away with. I can imagine exceptions.

I pretty much agree with Jim Lapenta.
When you factor in the huge cost of your gear, your limited time off from work to have a fun dive (not a search and recovery dive), gas for driving to the dive site, an air fill, I think a reasonable effort to find the owner of an item is plenty.
On a side note, my buddy is a land metal detector hobbyist and says he has had his time and effort wasted repeatedly by someone who "lost" their precious ring "right here", which was later found in their home.

That, plus what you can get away with. I can imagine exceptions.

This bit of Nattering is poor advice and ill advised, following this advice you would quickly find yourself ostracised from most dive groups. In my opinion, you should always make an honest effort at returning something that is lost..

Having seen people lose expensive items I shutter to think that someones decision process includes "gee if I stick this in my bag can I get away with it"

Cheers,
Roger

This bit of Nattering is poor advice and ill advised, following this advice you would quickly find yourself ostracised from most dive groups. In my opinion, you should always make an honest effort at returning something that is lost..

Having seen people lose expensive items I shutter to think that someones decision process includes "gee if I stick this in my bag can I get away with it"

Cheers,
Roger
Yep. Don't remember what else I was thinking at the time.

Often tho, that honest effort would not include turning it in. I'd like to think I was returning it to the right party and not someone who'd just take it home. I guess many feel that way or we wouldn't have this forum; they'd just turn things into the local operator or authorities.

I'll make an attempt to find the owner, but will not go out of my way. I have found there are many folks who will falsely claim ownership, so I ask for some form of suitable proof before I fork over any find.
Here's an example how my last find went: Diving at local quarry, I found a **** dive knife. It was in pretty good shape, just a bit of discoloring on the handle. When I surfaced, during my SI, I went to every table there and ask has anyone lost a knife. No one had. Asked the staff if any one reported losing a knife lately; nope! Later that day just making conversation, a lady that showed up says, "Hey, my friend lost his knife last weekend. I'll call him" OK! When she gets him on the phone she 's going, "Hey, this guy found a knife and I bet it's yours", and then turning to me says, "What kind is it?" I look at her and say, "Ask him what he lost" After some conversation, she comes back and says, it's a ***** model ####. So I show her what I found and say sorry I guess it's not it. I have tougher requirements if the item is fairly expensive. If it is marked with names or other identifiers, etc., then I will try harder to find the owner.

The ethical code for dealing with found items is seperate from diving. You should have learned it from your parents as a child.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom