age discrimination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MantaRey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've seen plenty of discussions on sexism and diving. like preference for a female or male buddy etc.

how about age? anyone out there have something against or for younger or older divers? I'm 19 and usually dive with people around my age, but I've noticed that it seems like there are really two groups in diving (not male/female). it tends to be the college buddies, or "older folk"

in my experience I've gotten the typical "young people are ignorant" type of treatment. but the majority look beyond that.

Interesting question. Since I was older when I got into diving I never noticed it. Not sure if I have done much diving with divers in your age group other then students in my classes.
Too bad that you have had that type of experience. Not all of us are like that I hope!
Keep on diving.

Joe

I'm 21 and I get it also. I think some of it has to do with older divers not wanting to look bad with their juniors. Also after dive chat probably has a bit to do with it. I don't want to finish a dive and talk HMO's, IRA, 401K, and how the SS check didn't come in this weeks mail so I can't afford fills. :D

Maturity has a lot to do with it. I can't speak well for my peers as they are as a majority immature. I don't and would not dive with most.

That being said, most of my dive buddys are in the 25-35 age group.

I never really thought about the age of my dive buddies.

I've had dive buddies ranging from age 13 to over 60 (I'm 29). I don't care how old someone is as long as they are a good safe diver.

hmmm... interesting...

Well, I haven't been buddied up with anyone over 35, that I can think of... but have taken courses with all age groups & in the class room & at the dive site have not really noticed much discrimination, though as has been said I'm sure maturity has plenty to do with it. Most people don't realize I'm as young as I am (19) & sometimes I make sure to keep to myself.
I have noticed logging the dive at the bar afterwards (note: drinking age in BC is 19) I definately tend to gravitate to people I can relate to outside of diving... ie. people close to my age. Many of the instructors at the LDS I use are quite young so I think older people that take courses (especially from the OW level) with the shop have to understand & respect that young people can be safe, responsible divers.

First, you are only old when regrets replace your dreams. That makes me quite young in spirit despite any contrary indications based on my chronological age.

Most of my dive buddies are in their twenties. They can keep up with me. They are mature and good divers. We enjoy diving together, and have plenty to talk about during surface intervals... and retirement isn't one of the topics. Usually we discuss the biological phenomena we witnessed during the dive (in which case I serve as a mentor given my scientific background). Sometimes it is politics and social issues, on which we often agree but occasionally debate.

I have had twenty-somethings who could not "keep up" with me (and I'm not refering to my speed underwater, I explore a site) and I've had those in their 50's who can do so easily.

Therefore age really is not the issue for me. Diving ability and a serious interest in the ecology of the dive site, or in underwater photography/videography are the keys.

I generally don't find the younger divers reacting negatively to my age... perhaps because I neither look nor act it!

Dr. Bill

I'm 16 now (did my OW when I was 13) and have never been discriminated against.

Most people I dive with are 20+ and I never had the feeling of being excluded or/and being treated with less respect.

As a matter of fact many people I dive with kind of admire me because I started diving so young

I don't have a problem diving with people older/younger than me

I havent had any problems diving with any particular age group. and what i have experienced really isnt a problem...but....

i look a whole lot older than i am and i encounter the...can i help you.....or.....we plan to go to 80 feet is that ok for you....and the like. It doesnt upset me....i just crinkle up my voice and answer back....

Back
Top Bottom