Recommndation for BC well suited for plane travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfb001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good Day to all,

I am in the market for a new Buoyancy Compensator (BC) with the following specifications;
  1. I do all my diving in warm water. (Bahamas, Cozumel etc..)
  2. I need to bring the BC on the plane, so I am looking for something lighter wet still
    robust
  3. With an integrated weight system would be a plus.
  4. I weight around 230 pounds so I still need some lift.
  5. I usually dive with a shorty or full one piece suit. 3mm.
  6. I dive around 30 to 40 times a year.
I have examine models from different diving manufacturers, all of them offer models of BC that
are lighter and more suited for travelling. All those manufacturer claims that there design is base years of research. I would still
like to have the opinions of divers using that type of BC.

Thank you

Traditional: Zeagle Wicked Lite http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/content/284-zeagle-s-new-wicked-lite-bcd.html
While I haven't used this one, look it freak folds into the palm of your hand!

My top Recomendation: a backplate and wing. There are lot of ultra compact, light travel back plates. I made the switch last year, and am so happy with it. Though I understand that it is a bit intimidation, but I figured I would throw it out there. At the extreme side you have something like this:
OxyCheq Travel Backplate discounts on sale OxyCheq

Hands down my favorite and most recommended BC's for travel and the most economical are the Zeagle Express Tech and the one I just set up for myself an aluminum plate with a HOG harness and HOG 23lb travel wing. Both weigh around 5 lbs set up the way I like them with d-rings and a couple weight pouches on the cam bands of the express tech.

Both pack up a small as a BPW but the ET still gives enough support with the semi soft back plate as I call it that it can even be used for heavy steel tanks if you get the larger bladder. Either the 30 or 35. I have the 35 on mine to use with LP95's and it is still very compact. Retail for the basic unit is around 250 USD. You can trick it out with a weight system and padding and bring the total up around 400 but none of that is really necessary. The ET tricked my way was still less than 300. The BPW can get set up in for 350-375 depending on cam bands, wing choice, etc.

There are travel BC's out there yes that have been designed "with years of research" but they still have unnecessary padding, pockets that barely useful or not at all, poorly placed points for connecting things, and the most inconvenient thing for me - the fact that you have to try and fit you to them. You have to rely on some mfg idea of what size you are. Not so with an Express Tech or a BPW. I could sell you a BPW and talk you thru setting it up and it would fit you. Period. An ET would not require talking you'd put it on, the adjustment would be intuitive for anyone that has ever used a back pack and again just a few simple tweaks with well placed d rings and slides and you'd have your BC.

I have seen a few "travel BC's" and only one or two would work for me. Edge has a new one coming out this year that I saw at DEMA. Weight integrated, minimal padding, well thought out attachment points, and at a good price. Most of the others though look like they would pack up nice and small but they also look flimsy and do not inspire much confidence.

Scubapro Knighthawk backpack, DR Travel Exp 27# wing, Halcyon hog harness, 3 weight pockets, a small knife, a single Scubapro Supercinch cam band. I've sinced changed off the heavy DR corrugated hose with the lighter OMS style. Plastic buckle and some plastic D rings. Rig weighs less than 5 lbs. You could probably find a slightly lighter rig, but I would be surprised if it would have as solid and stable a HARD back as this one. Yes, you could fold a soft back rig up like towel.

Attachments

• P2180052.jpg
    P2180052.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 201
  • DR Trav Exp.jpg
    DR Trav Exp.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
The Wicked Lite packs down so small you will think you forgot to pack it, and it weighs about 4 pounds.
It's development and testing goes back to the early 1980's pre-Ranger model Alpha and Beta. Many of these are still in service by divers who won't think of giving them up. Not because they are Zeagle's but because they dive and trim out so well.

Good Day to all,

I thank you for your time and suggestions. I have better idea what to look for

Thank you again to all

Franck, Montreal, Canada

The scubapro lite hawk is a great stripped down bcd with 48# lift. Also if you want something that is standard flotaion the scubapro GO is weight integrated and weighs less than 4lbs and fits in a small bag.

I won't explain the (embarrassing) circumstances that led me to try a Scubapro Litehawk, but it's certainly a fine BCD. That said, I would never buy one. Both the Litehawk and the Knighthawk have a problem. They are back inflate BCDs with unobtusive retraction bands facing only inside. However, there is a tendency with this design for one side to inflate significantly more than the other side. If you don't mind your kit and you careening to the left or right when you are at depth, then no worries. Otherwise, I wouldn't spend my money on these BCDs. I had a Knighthawk and detatched the backpack and tank mounting plate. I sold the remains on ebay, and used the backpack/mounting plate to build my own travel rig, essentially a BP/wing design. (I will add that the harnesses of the Litehawk and esp Knighthawk are EXTREMELY comfortable.) The GO is a soft-back, conventional side inflate BCD. If you demand a conventional side inflate BCD, and don't mind diving a soft back (you'd better be tall enough to not need a 26"+ AL80 to be lifted off your short torso), I wouldn't hesitate to go with Scubapro.

The scubapro lite hawk is a great stripped down bcd with 48# lift. Also if you want something that is standard flotaion the scubapro GO is weight integrated and weighs less than 4lbs and fits in a small bag.

Hands down my favorite and most recommended BC's for travel and the most economical are the Zeagle Express Tech and the one I just set up for myself an aluminum plate with a HOG harness and HOG 23lb travel wing. Both weigh around 5 lbs set up the way I like them with d-rings and a couple weight pouches on the cam bands of the express tech.

Both pack up a small as a BPW but the ET still gives enough support with the semi soft back plate as I call it that it can even be used for heavy steel tanks if you get the larger bladder. Either the 30 or 35. I have the 35 on mine to use with LP95's and it is still very compact. Retail for the basic unit is around 250 USD. You can trick it out with a weight system and padding and bring the total up around 400 but none of that is really necessary. The ET tricked my way was still less than 300. The BPW can get set up in for 350-375 depending on cam bands, wing choice, etc.

There are travel BC's out there yes that have been designed "with years of research" but they still have unnecessary padding, pockets that barely useful or not at all, poorly placed points for connecting things, and the most inconvenient thing for me - the fact that you have to try and fit you to them. You have to rely on some mfg idea of what size you are. Not so with an Express Tech or a BPW. I could sell you a BPW and talk you thru setting it up and it would fit you. Period. An ET would not require talking you'd put it on, the adjustment would be intuitive for anyone that has ever used a back pack and again just a few simple tweaks with well placed d rings and slides and you'd have your BC.

I have seen a few "travel BC's" and only one or two would work for me. Edge has a new one coming out this year that I saw at DEMA. Weight integrated, minimal padding, well thought out attachment points, and at a good price. Most of the others though look like they would pack up nice and small but they also look flimsy and do not inspire much confidence.

I've never seen a 'travel' BC that wasn't such a design and materials quality compromise that I'd actually ever imaging owning one! You get what you pay for (and you don't get what you don't pay for!) As you said, usually zero capability to customize (pocket/D-ring/weight pocket number/placement) wierdly shaped/small worthless storage pockets, tissue thin bladders/materials, pretty much lightweight garbage! I design/build my own scuba gear and have almost completed my latest little project.....a real travel BC ! It will come in at about 12 lbs, which is nowhere near the 4 - 5 lbs usual travel BC, but is made of VASTLY superior materials/components, is FULL featured and is looking REALLY AWESOME (as in it appears factory-manufactured and how a gear manufacturer should construct a BC system, if only they had a clue!) 12 lbs is still pretty reasonable for a 'real' (high quality/high functionality) BC system, a BC system I'd be happy to dive even in 'combat' conditions (Galapagos/NC wreck diving/etc.).

Sfb...I have been using a Zeagle Express Tech (single tank diving) for two years now locally and when I travel. I purchased mine with 30 lbs donut Wing and I use the ripcord weight integrated system (30 lbs capacity) and a crotch strap. Last summer I acquired one for my GF. For her, I got the 35 lbs horseshoe bladder witht he ziptouch weight integrated system (20 lbs capacity) and a crotch strap. We are both very happy with our set-up. The other add-on to consider would be four sets of Drings (shoulder and waist) and a front technical pouch (10 X 6 inch) that I wear dead center on my belt (straddling my crotch strap) for knife, back-up flashlite, etc). The beauty with these set-ups is that they are very simplistic, light and takes very little toom compare to normal BCDs. Have a look at my pics to give you an idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom