Coastal Water Advisory (after rain) question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteLightning

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am in San Diego, but I am guessing that this applies elsewhere (which is why i am posting here instead of SoCal).

There's a General Advisory against swimming/surfing/diving that comes out for 72 hours after we have rain. This advisory is not very specific - from San Onofre to the US/Mex border, and it doesn't look like the water has been tested. There's no indication of actual levels for a specific beach. The state just puts out this warning every time it rains.

Here's the link to it: http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/deh/water/pdf/BBcurrent.pdf

So, my question is... Do most divers stay out of the water when these crop up?

WL

Not me. UNLESS.. the coastal waters cloud up from rain and sediment following the storm. Cloudy water is not only no fun to dive in, it is a place where large marine predators like to hunt. So for me it is a vizibility thing, not a pollutant issue. UNLESS.. there is a sanitary sewer overflowing into the sea where I want to dive.
DivemasterDennis

So, my question is... Do most divers stay out of the water when these crop up?
Yes, for shore diving but No for boat or Catalina diving. I've seen the stuff flushed down our storm drains (direct to the ocean) and have zero desire to dive in it.

I stay out of the water any time after it's "raining cats and dogs".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom