Tekna DV-3X battery replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommymac

Contributor
Reaction score
Just picked up a Tekna DV-3X. The unit has been sitting for a long time and the battery no longer takes a charge. The charger itsself is good as it charges another Tenkna DPV.

After taking off the head light nose, there are 4 large phillips screws. It looks like those need to come off next but turning them doesn't seem to draw them out.

I think the more something is made out of plastic, the greater need for me to have an owners manual or repair manual. Does the owners manual give instructions on battery replacement? Where can a repair and owners manual be found??

Thanks

Tom

6 flat head screw under rubber bumper to remove nose cone
4 Phillips screws to remove top bulkhead
Unbolt the battery terminals remove
4 gray rod spacers
Remove middle bulkhead
Remove batteries.
Reverse to install

You will need to replace the catalysts (will be either white powdery belts wrapped around the battery pack or whit round stone looking pieces) they are only good for one set of batteries. I have them in stock .along with anything else you need.

My brother just gave me his Tekna DV-3X submersion sea dive scooter. The scooter looks brand new, it comes with its case and also the charger. The charger does not work. Does anyone know how much this submersion scooter goes for? And how much I can sell it for? It probably needs to be serviced because he used it once and never used it again.

The DV-3X has not been made since 1990 when Tekna Ceased production. Oceanic still sells the Mako which is a derivative of the Tekna DV100, which is a slightly longer version of the DV-3X with a mid body inserted between the nose cone and motor housing.

The good news is that Tekna's motor prop and shroud are still pretty much the standard for many DPVs and parts are generally available for the rest of the scooter.

A good Mako can be had for $650-$800 and they generally sell for more than a DV-3X due to better buoyancy, the ability to cary a little bigger battery and much easier battery change capability, as well as the ability to easily charge the battery with the nose cone removed. A set of batteries will cost around $100 and a rebuild by DPV repair is probably in the neighborhood of $300, so if it really needs all that, the actual value as a DPV starts to decline to the point where it's value can be greater as spare parts for newer models.

I have the manuals. Not exactly sure where I put them last though.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom