Techies

True or False: I work with computers.

• True: Computers is the grooviest.

Votes: 37 80.4%
  • False: Them adding machines are ruining a perfectly good world.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Uh, do you mean yourself when you say I, or do you mean Me as the pollee? (I mean you as the pollee

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Kevin McMurray once bubbled...
The internet was extremely popular with divers, who were by nature technically oriented.

No, not technical divers as such. I curious as to the percentage of divers who work in some technical field, more exactly what percentage of divers work in IT.

I was recently on a six-pack on which every charterer was an IT technician. At the time I thought it was just an odd coincidence, but this morning I read the above quote in Deep Descent and am starting to wonder if it's not so much of a coincidence as phenomenon.

So, do you agree with the above MuMarray appraisal?

I'm not going to say you're wrong if you do, I'm just going to introduce you to the engineer at my quarry who built his own water compressor with exchangable heads to rinse gear.:wink:

I'm not so sure the relationship has to do with tech jobs as much as it's a statement about the world we live in today.

It might be more accurate to say that both the expense and drive involved in learning to dive might attract more professional types.

To take it one step further, let's say that many, non IT, professional jobs now require computer proficiency. I'm an account manager, which on the surface, has nothing to do with IT, yet I'm on the computer all day. I need to be well versed in at least 20 programs and able to do simple troubleshooting myself to be efficient at my job.

It seems like just yesterday watching the curly paper coming out of our first office fax machine :D

Back then I did my job with a phone, pen and legal pad!

In fact I work in IT and my dive buddy works in IT too! Well we met at my current company and his former company and he kept talking about diving and I hadn't gone in years so he got me back into it...
But I would have to agree with ScottyK - it seems now a days you have to use a computer no matter what you do...

Don't you think that your selection of Internet as the medium for your research is going to bias the results just a little bit?
:snorkel:ScubaRon

ScottyK once bubbled...
I'm not so sure the relationship has to do with tech jobs as much as it's a statement about the world we live in today.

It might be more accurate to say that both the expense and drive involved in learning to dive might attract more professional types.

To take it one step further, let's say that many, non IT, professional jobs now require computer proficiency. I'm an account manager, which on the surface, has nothing to do with IT, yet I'm on the computer all day. I need to be well versed in at least 20 programs and able to do simple troubleshooting myself to be efficient at my job.

It seems like just yesterday watching the curly paper coming out of our first office fax machine :D

Back then I did my job with a phone, pen and legal pad!

Machines in general have been evolving in sophistication. I remember the oohs and aahs when the first word processor came online back in the 70's. Then desktop computers and spreadsheets in the 80's. Then laptops in the 90's. Now the palm devices in the 00's. Somewhere along the way, I/T Depts evolved as well to become indespensible to any business, and the I/T chief an executivel level position.

In scuba, the diving watch was all the rave back in the 70's. It was all you had, back then. You planned your dive, and dived your plan, and based on your SCR, your tank size, your bourbon tube depth gauge, the tables, and your watch, you managed.

The 'puter has taken the place of many things. At home, work, and diving. The world is always changing, for sure. And so also is scuba diving.

ScubaRon once bubbled...
your selection of Internet as the medium for your research

Yeah, I know. I'm not applying for a government grant based on the results of the poll. I'm actually more curious about how people feel about the fairly bold generalization made by McMurray.

I'm in Information Technology (desktop support), and the friend who introduced me to diving is in Computer Science.

(however, the guy who was my dive buddy for the OW class and OW dives is a philosophy major)

I'm a Professional Land Surveyor and Engineer in Training who has to be proficient in quite a number of surveying and engineering software packages, as well as the equipment involved. I also build my own PC's for fun, so I guess thats makes me something of a techy. :wink:

I do seem to spend more time on the computer than doing field work. I would prefer to be in the field but the real money is made in the office.

Well i'm a network designer
two of my dive friends are network engineers, one of my instructors was an IT manager, my buddy is 3rd line support

we discussed this a year or so ago, i was interested in the numbers too, based on how many people that posted seemed to be in IT, well the arguments were

a) this is an internet forum, maybe that was a coincidence
b) perhaps not limited mainly to IT, but to professionals in general, no matter the occupation, due to the higher disposable income (i still dont think theres such thing as a disposable income) :)

and a few others, perhaps just more people work in IT these days :)

Systems engineer for almost twenty years. MCSE, CNE, and a few I've probably forgotten. I've grown to loathe the whole industry, but it pays for rent and air fills.:doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom