Mask for small nose.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My youngest son has a problem equalizing because his nose is too small to reach with the nose pocket of his masks. He manages by swallowing but I think it would be better if he could squeeze his nose. He has five different styles of masks, but the nose pockets of all of them are too big. Does anyone know of a mask that is made for a person with a short nose? I think I read something on SB about one some time back but I can't find the thread again.

If his nose is small enough try a nose clip under the mask or a few pieces of band aide to build up on his nose or the inside of the mask's nose pocket...They make a band aide called 'sport bandages' that have good waterproof adhesion and come in different sizes.....The band aide is sponge-like so it shouldn't bother his nose........

Try Atomic Aquatics Frameless. Not "small" per se, but low-volume and very soft silicone puts the pocket near the nose and the softness makes easy to pinch the nose.

Cressi's Superocchio mask has a very low profile-low volume mask. The nose pocket is just a tad shorter than some other masks on the market, but it is pretty more narrow as well which could help.

You could also research hands free equalization methods such as Frenzel Method and VTO/BTO (Voluntary Tubal Opening/Beance Tubaire Volontaire). The latter is anatomy dependent, only a few people are capable of performing it. But the usual FAQ and tutorials provide good insight.

Masks are wetsuits usually need to be shopped in stores for proper fit, and don't buy it unless it does. Both of my masks and most of my suits were online orders, mostly because of a shortage of stores here, but I was lucky. Some aren't, and it's a hassle to return items. One suit was too big, but it fit my dive bud and he needed it. :thumb:

I have a very small face and smallish nose and the only mask that I've found to fit is the Tusa Visio. It's very low volume and low profile. Tusa Visio was the full name years ago when I bought a couple, but now I see that they make three types of Visio's. The most similar looks like the Visio Uno. You should have your son try it on. Maybe you can ask if there are good dive masks for adolescents as well...

Masks are wetsuits usually need to be shopped in stores for proper fit, and don't buy it unless it does. Both of my masks and most of my suits were online orders, mostly because of a shortage of stores here, but I was lucky. Some aren't, and it's a hassle to return items. One suit was too big, but it fit my dive bud and he needed it. :thumb:

He's tried the masks available at the LDS with no luck. They are all the same in that when he squeezes his nose, all he gets is the very tip of his schnoz. That Cressi mask looks promising, though. The nose clip idea is interesting, too.

Simple. Look at free diving masks. Omer, Sporasub, and I guess Mares bought out somebody. Free diving masks have lots going for them, not just for kids.

He's tried the masks available at the LDS with no luck. They are all the same in that when he squeezes his nose, all he gets is the very tip of his schnoz. That Cressi mask looks promising, though. The nose clip idea is interesting, too.
You seem to be located in an area that probably doesn't have a lot of dive shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom