Out of these places which is the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony.luciano710

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok so I may be going on a cruise in April and the one my parents like the most visits Cozumel Mexico; Belize; Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan; and the Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. Now I would like some suggestions as to which is the best for viewing coral and tropical fish. Not really interested in a wreck for this time around. I can only go to one because my dad and I are the only ones in the family that will go diving so the other locations are family days. I am going to my open water classes the weekend of February 3rd and hopefully can go to my 4 open water dives before the cruise as for the excursions you need to already be certified. My Dad is already certified but hasn't gone in very long so he is taking the entire course with me to refresh on everything. So please let me know out of those 4 places which would be the best to go diving in. Thanks in advance.

From what I've heard Belize has absolutely amazing diving -- unfortunately I've never gotten the opportunity to go however. I just got back from Grand Cayman a couple of weeks ago and had a great time. I would recommend Cobalt Coast/Divetech if you end up going to GC. They have a lot of nice walls and Divetech gives you a free computer to use if you don't have one so everyone can maximize their bottom times. There are also a couple of nice wrecks (I know you said you're not really interested) including the Kittiwake which is a must see. If you're bringing non-divers then at GC you can do Stingray city and they can come along as snorkelers...

From what I've heard Belize has absolutely amazing diving -- unfortunately I've never gotten the opportunity to go however. I just got back from Grand Cayman a couple of weeks ago and had a great time. I would recommend Cobalt Coast/Divetech if you end up going to GC. They have a lot of nice walls and Divetech gives you a free computer to use if you don't have one so everyone can maximize their bottom times. There are also a couple of nice wrecks (I know you said you're not really interested) including the Kittiwake which is a must see. If you're bringing non-divers then at GC you can do Stingray city and they can come along as snorkelers...

Well that is another interesting thought. Maybe We can have two dives then that way one is like the regular dive maybe in Belize and then the Stingray City we can still all go as a family except my mom, brother, and sister will just snorkel while my dad and I go under the water. The boat my parents like is the Carnival Liberty one leaving April 7th and my dad wants to stay with the carnival booked excursions and not venture off with just stuff on the island. Now if it was my choice I would definitely go with private dive shops mainly because of more flexibility but being that it's on a cruise he doesn't want to take any chances.

My vote would be Grand Cayman. Very easy diving and very healthy reefs. While I too would recommend Cobalt Coast, your cruise would likely arrange for ops much closer to where the ship docks. Not an issue. As a new diver Coz could be a challenge due to drift diving conditions. I love Belize and will be going to Ambergris Cay for spring break. Not sure where you'll be docked or where you'll dive from, but one issue with Belize, at least Ambergris, is diving coud be cancelled due to poor weather (when the wind kick in). I love Belize for all the nurse sharks. I just got back from Roatan and Utila and wasn't impressed with the reef health in Roatan, although it could have just been the sites I dove. So based on ease of diving and reef quality, you can't go wrong with Grand Cayman.

Cruise diving stinks. Would not recommend going on a cruise for the expressed purpose of diving, unless of course it's a live aboard.

If you do end up on the cruise, recommend arranging your diving separate from the preplanned excursions.

I have dove all the locations, and each has its strong points. However, diving off a cruise ship on a day excursion, you will only see a small part of any of them. I will tell you that the cruise ship to dive boat connection in Grand Cayman that we observed ( while we spent a week at Sunset House diving every day) seemed well run and sane. It will take you to sting ray bay and another close in site- probably Eden Rock, which you can also dive from shore after walking to their facility, only a quarter mile from the cruise ship shuttle landing. Hopefully sometime in the future you can experience each of these fine dive destinations.
DivemasterDennis

AJ,

Here is another take on the subject.

Grand Cayman - Snorkle with the Family at Sting Ray City...really awesome.:snorkel:
Roatan - Snorkle with the Family at Anthoney's Dolphins...also awesome.:snorkel:
Belize - also a great Family excursion. :grouphug:
Mahogany Bay - never been there so cannot say.:confused4:

Cozumel - You and your dad take a dive trip there. :sharkattack:
The reef is fantastic. While there are some tricky drift dives, however, most cruise excursions are going to do the main dive sites fairly close to the docks away from the strong currents (plus you will have a guide(s) with you). If you have not been to Cozumel before, the main activity is diving. There are a lot of shops and stores for shopping and the usual island tours, but after some of the other stops your curise will take you to, the Coz ones just don't compare.

The other thing to think about is whether or not to book the dive trip through Carnival...I would. If anything happens to you while on a Carnaval Excusion, boat failure, traffic jam, etc., the ship will wait for you. But if you are on your own...the ship will depart with or without you. And this goes for all sites/ports of call. Something to think about.

Compared to going to a destination and diving/staying for a week or two, ya cruises suck. But cruises are for variety. They give you that one day stop at a different location to "sample" the culture and adventures. So take a sample dive at Coz or anyone of the other islands and have fun. :grinbandit:

Enjoy yourself...

~ME~

P.S. When I took my dive gear on a Carnaval Ship they held my dive knife and I had to pick it up and turn it in each time I dove. I would leave it at home.:support:

Last edited:
I don't think you can beat Cozumel for good value with world class diving. Much better coral formations than Roatan. Much better value than Cayman.

Ok well the information given will be great for the future so thank you so much for all the help but my parents found another cruise and this time they actually booked it so the places are completely different. I will list them here and hopefully get some more suggestions. This one is a norwegian cruise.
Samana, Dominican Republic
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
St. John's, Antigua
Bridgetown, Barbados
Basseterre, St. Kitts

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom