PV on Sundiver with myself, Blue Steal & Steve Eady

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fnfalman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Sundiver was to go to Catalina but the Santa Ana wind generated too much swells so Captain Kayaa went to PV Peninsula instead. When we got there, the wind and swell weren’t too bad but she had to search quite a bit for decent viz and little current. The Great Escape was in the same situation and area, so the two captains communicated with each other to see which was to be the best spot. We ended up doing the first dive at Avalon Rock, which is practically at the northern corner of PV, practically to the Redondo Beach. Viz was at best 10-ft and that’s me being generous, temp was a solid 54-F with surface temp of around 57-F – pretty much the same for three sites. Heavy surge too at all the sites. At least the kelp forests were healthy & thick, but not a lot of fish for some reasons. Some times during the first dive, the wind died down and the surface turned out to be flatter than pancake.

The sites were Avalon Rock, Christmas Tree Cove and Neptune Cove. At Christmas Tree, I spotted a nice fat octopus changing color. At Neptune Cove there was a baby Mola Mola hanging close to the surface, and many Noble Dorids/White-Spotted Dorids/Spanish Shawls, some lobsters and that’s about it. Nothing too exotic. Lots of scallops though and some were gigantic. Nicole (one of the divemasters) took one up and shared it with us. There was an underwater arch at Neptune Cove and it had some cracks that were covered with scallops. BTW, I'm utterly infatuated with Nicole - anybody who packs a Cold Steel Tanto as a dive knife...hubba, hubba!!!:love3: Next time I'll bring my Cold Steel Tanto as well and we'll go kill something.

DennisnMyselfnSteveEady.jpg

DiveTripPallosVerdes28JAN12025.jpg

DiveTripPallosVerdes28JAN12013.jpg

NicolenTanto1.jpg

LukenKarennJessica.jpg

NicolenTanto3.jpg

Thanks for the report and pictures HT. Just now got all my gear in the backyard drying out.
The winds were blowing quite hard in the morning and I thought we were not going to even get 1 dive, but the winds died down and although a bit surgy we managed to get 3 dives in.
Lots of kelp and at the first site, saw quite a few lobsters.
Overall a fun day, only wish the VIS was better.
Comments on the Sundiver:
This was my first time using the Sundiver, have used the Sundiver Express a couple of times.
I availed myself of a bunk and they are quite comfortable with privacy curtains, pillow/blanket, reading light, small net for storing items, one head below and one topside.
Food is good with plenty for breakfast, snacks, drinks, lunch. You won't go away hungry for sure.
They have tanks aboard, I believe they are LP85's for use if you don't have a tank or didn't want to bring your own.
Airfills are quick, and all the crew from the captain, first mate/galley wrench, deckhands, and DM's were friendly and very helpful.
Dive briefings were good. Parking is plentiful and free.

Last edited:
I had a great time, the vis could have been better but we got to dive. The sundiver and crew were all good and plenty of food. Next time down that way I will book another trip out for sure. HT great pics, Thanks for a good time.

It does get better. The best vis I ever saw in California was on the OlympicII. We could see the wreck at 100' from the surface. Even near shore we get up to 35' on occasion.
AVALON4.jpg

Near the Avalon, about where the Sundiver was Saturday.

1024.jpg

Flat Rock

1024.jpg

Hawthorne Reef

1024.jpg

Redondo Beach

I heard that just one day later, Sunday, conditions were quite good with the VIS much better.
It's like the old surfing comment we used to say, "ya should have been here yesterday". Missed it by one day.

You stolen are vis now give it back, Max I have noticed that some of my pics come out blue and others green like yours, is it camera or is it ambiet light, and which orientation the sun while shooting pic's.

anybody who packs a Cold Steel Tanto as a dive knife...hubba, hubba!!!:love3: Next time I'll bring my Cold Steel Tanto as well and we'll go kill something.

Which model is that? I like. :cool2:

Which model is that? I like. :cool2:

The original Magnum Tanto with 8.5" worth of stainless steel.

I got a kydex dive sheath made up for it too. Actually I got dive sheaths made for all these suckers, though the Cold Steel bowie would probably rust in the salty air/water in a heartbeat.

Knives008.jpg

Knives001.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom