Rescue Diver w/ different agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FinnMom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to take Rescue Diver under the NAUI system, but won't have the opportunity until next fall and sooner would be much better. I could take the class from PADI in the next couple months.
Would RD w/ PADI it be pretty much the same as with NAUI or would it be a lighter, easier version?

100% real situation, real question, I'm not trying to start arguements for fun. Different agencies cater to different students wanting different things.

It has more to do with the instructor than the agency. If you look at the curriculum for both agencies, there is not much difference. So finding the instructor that you feel will go the extra mile will more probably cater to your different things you are wanting. The only thing I can tell you is that Rescue is one of the few courses out there that flow much better with more people. Many courses it would be a blessing to only be one or two students. Rescue works better with bigger groups. So that is something you might want to take into consideration. The best rescue courses I have seen have been 5 days full on, with at least a 2 student to 1 staff (Inst, DM or DMT) ratio. It doesn´t mean you can´t do a good Rescue course in other ways, Im just relaying the best ones I have seen.

The difference would be in the skills order and that the naui course would allow the instructor to add and modify the course as he sees fit. There is also more classroom in the naui class and covers more material dealing with hyperbaric medicine. of course a padi instructor can put on a great course with some imagination. Just do your homework and interview.the instructor. Ask to see the course standards from the instructor manual before signing anything or paying for the class and make sure the objectives meet your needs and expectations. If they won't show you the standards walk away.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

A very quick google search returned the standards for both the NAUI and PADI RD courses... so you can look and compare before going to any instructor, if you want to do that.

"Lighter" is only limited by the imagination of the Instructor.
The basics of the course are similar, talk with the Instructor and find out what they include in their course.

I can be pretty scathing about the PADI classes I have taken, but except for the fact that the guys teaching mine had no experience with my gear, I thought the class was excellent. I wouldn't worry about agency. Rescue is a very good class.

Back
Top Bottom