LX5 with DS51 and DS160 comes out underexposed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulyjura

Registered
Reaction score
I have a new Lumix LX5 in the Ikelite housing, dual sync cord, with DS51 and DS160 strobes.

Took it out today and it seems that most shots using the strobes are underexposed. I've attached 2 pics to demonstrate. The camera is in P mode and the first shot has both strobes on TTL, and the image is clearly dim. The second shot is after I put the DS160 in manual mode on -3, and it looks a lot better, and closer to what I would expect an automatic exposure should be.

P1000803.jpgP1000811.jpg

Macro shots come out ok, but I suspect it's to do with more light reaching the camera rather than the strobes firing correctly.

So... what's up with this?

Is your ISO on auto? Turn it to 100-200. What about flash EV, try zero or turn it up. I would also use A or S modes, set your shutter at about 125th and see what you get. Manual is preferred, but I'm not sure how weill it does TTL, some cameras turn to manual flash as well.
This is easy to experiment with on dry land.

Jack

OK, so I did some test shots at home in a dark room. These are all taken with ISO 100, in Aperture priority, both strobes on TTL, flash EV is set to 0.

The first set of shots is taken about 1.5 metres away, only adjusting the aperture. For some reason, I get better exposure with a smaller aperture.

P1010038.jpgP1010039.jpgP1010040.jpgP1010041.jpg

So I think to myself, "I'll just leave it on F 8", but it all changes again when I get in closer:

P1010042.jpgP1010043.jpg

F 8 becomes darker and F 2 is now lighter.

Is this correct behaviour?

My understanding was that in TTL mode the strobe will just fire until the camera has received enough light and switches off the strobe. So I should be able to change the aperture and the strobe will compensate to always give a proper exposure automatically. This is how I assume the built-in flash operates. Here is the same scene shot out of the housing using the built in flash:

P1010056.jpgP1010055.jpgP1010054.jpgP1010053.jpg

They all come out properly exposed, why doesn't the same thing happen with the strobes?

Paulyjura,

This behavior is consistent with strobes that are firing manually at a fixed power setting, which would explain why the image at F2 is so much brighter than the image at F8. It seems there is a breakdown in TTL communication between the camera and strobe. Make sure the camera hotshoe is pushed all the forward in the camera hotshoe mount. Also, make sure that a hotshoe pin is not stuck in the up position inside the shoe. Make sure the camera is set to center-weighted metering.

There could also be a problem with the housing electronics or cord. If you have a spare single cord, you can plug in one of the strobes, such as the DS160, and retest.

If the problem cannot be narrowed down, please send your equipment along with a brief letter of explanation or this thread, and full contact information to:

Ikelite Underwater Systems
Attn. Service Dept.
50 W. 33rd St.
Indpls., IN 46208

Please include your name, complete return address, email, phone number, and your stated problem or service request. Normal service completion time is 2-3 weeks.

Regards,

Brett S. Foster
IKELITE Underwater Systems

I have made sure the hotshoe is pushed all the way in, and none of the pins are stuck up. I am seeing the 'T' icon on the screen of the camera, and metering is set to center-weighted.

I do have a single cord and have tried taking shots with just the DS51 and just the DS160 separately, but the same problem with exposure happens. This is a cord that I have previously used without any problems with my old Canon G9 with the DS51. So I don't think there is a problem with the cord or the strobe, and the camera seems perfectly functional as shown by the built-in flash exposing properly.

I am guessing the problem is with the TTL circuitry in the housing.

Is the hotshoe plug supposed to only have 3 pins? I see 4 contacts on the camera...

I have made sure the hotshoe is pushed all the way in, and none of the pins are stuck up. I am seeing the 'T' icon on the screen of the camera, and metering is set to center-weighted.

I do have a single cord and have tried taking shots with just the DS51 and just the DS160 separately, but the same problem with exposure happens. This is a cord that I have previously used without any problems with my old Canon G9 with the DS51. So I don't think there is a problem with the cord or the strobe, and the camera seems perfectly functional as shown by the built-in flash exposing properly.

I am guessing the problem is with the TTL circuitry in the housing.

Is the hotshoe plug supposed to only have 3 pins? I see 4 contacts on the camera...

Paulyjura,

The hotshoe on this model does only have 3 pins. The side contact is the ground.

I would send the housing to Ikelite for assessment of the electronics. If you decide to include your strobes and cords, we can test your equipment as a complete system before returning. Send to the address in my previous post.

Regards,

Brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom