Safety Reels - what are you using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
Looking to get one so I need some options.

150ft Spool. Simple is better. Reels jam, tangle, and birdsnest, and they don't fit in pockets very well.

What do you want it for? I'm assuming you are still in open water -- are you talking about something with which to shoot a bag? In that case, a simple 100 or 150 foot spool is your best bet.

In caves, you have other functions for a spool or reel, that may push other decisions.

+1 - need more info before a responsible recommendation can be made. What type of environment are you using it in? What uses do you foresee for it?

Jim - a lot of your responses seem to end with a sales pitch these days, getting pretty commercial

Looking to get one so I need some options.
If you are looking for a safety reel,for the purpose of lost line or lost buddy search,then a spool can be an ideal choice,because it doesn't suffer from backlash when releasing tension,for example when changing directions during the search.

If you are looking for a reel,for things like jumps,gaps,then my preference is the Ralph Hood reels-extremely durable and well made. For the purpose of jumps and gaps reels are great because they are much faster than a spool to uptake line,and if you maintain tension,the chances of entanglement are nil. Reels are ideal in passages that are high flow where you can't control the speed of your exit.

You will find there is a lot of philosphical opinions on the reels vs spool debate,and some organizations only recommend spools. No matter which side of the fence you lay,both items have a correct way of being used,and a high success rate,but it is important to practice and develop proficiency before entering an overhead environment

I use a Manta reel for wreck diving. Tangles and birdnests reflect more on the user than the reel. When used correctly the Manta hasn't done either. I have gotten sloppy with it on occasions and ended up with a tangled mess, but it was clearly my fault. I do use a spool to deploy a SMB or bag.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom