Sea sick at surface interval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poor you! I feel for you.

What have you tried? Most seasick remedies work best if you start them the evening before. There are various forms of Dramamine, Bonine, Meclizine, and finally prescription Scolomine patch.

Are you well hydrated? Diving can really dry you out, and that may contribute to queasiness.

Do you find yourself getting sick during your safety stop? The up and down motion of the waves getting to you? You could drop to 20' to avoid that.

Bottom line, though, is that dealing with sea sickness during the surface interval is too late. If you do toss your cookies, make sure you drink a lot of water. It will help you hydrate, and for most people, throwing up something is better than dry heaves.

-- she who spews like a shook-up soda can :)

Last edited:
Poor you! I feel for you.

What have you tried? Most seasick remedies work best if you start them the evening before. There are various forms of Dramamine, Bonine, Meclizine, and finally prescription Scolomine patch.

Are you well hydrated? Diving can really dry you out, and that may contribute to queasiness.

Do you find yourself getting during your safety stop? The up and down motion of the waves getting to you? You could drop to 20' to avoid that.

Bottom line, though, is that dealing with sea sickness during the surface interval is too late. If you do toss your cookies, make sure you drink a lot of water. It will help you hydrate, and for most people, throwing up something is better than dry heaves.

-- she who spews like a shook-up soda can :)
I havnt tried anything looking for suggestions. Yes I drink lots of water ,getting sick during a surface interval due to waves.Iwould rather try something besides droping 20' and using my air. thanx for your reply

What is some remedys for getting seasick at surface intervals , and have no side effects when diving.

I like to drink ginger ale if I'm getting a little quesy, but the very few times I have gotten sick, I was OK once back in the water.

KL

I don't get sea sick but there have been those rare occasions where even I feel the nausea kicking in.

Normally when that happens it's because I've lost my balance with the horizon, usually I'm looking down in my gear bag or messing with my bootie.
It helps to focus on something that's will be static in your vision. So look at the horizon and let yourself rock with the ocean pendulum. Try to focus just on the horizon and make sure that it isn't shifting with the waves. If it is you're going to be feeling ill pretty quick.

I also notice that people who tend to get sea sick rock exactly with the waves, they're kinda trying to resist it, they're being rigid so when the boat rocks they just rock with it. They basically always stay near perpendicular with the boat deck.
These are the people that tend to focus on their hands or something on the boat or relative to the boat, during the trip out.

Those who don't get sea sick look like jello and are constantly rocking about with the swell, but in small delayed manner. They're feet are firmly planted but everything above the ankles is fluid. So for most of the time their head is always near perpendicular with the horizon, instead of the boat deck. So even though their body is rocking everywhere their head still has a static image of the horizon.

Other things that help once I feel sick is cool water or soda. Just little constant sips at a time.
For preventative measures, ginger or candied ginger before the boat trip is also suppose to help. And of course there's the usual over the counter tablets and patches.

I like to drink ginger ale if I'm getting a little quesy, but the very few times I have gotten sick, I was OK once back in the water.

KL

I havnt tried ginger ale but Im always better once I get back in the water.

I have been seasick, and like g1138 said, can be attributed to looking down, into the boat. Best too look at the horizon. Also, this probably won't help once you are feeling queazy, but standing with your knees slightly bent and holding on to something can help you remain fluid.

I would also add, try to stay away from the boat exhaust, and watch for shifting breezes that may be blowing the boat exhaust in your direction

The trigger for me always seems to be the smell of two-stroke exhaust. I always ask in advance where the surface interval will be (boat, beach, shop, etc.), and try to stay very hydrated on dive days. So far, the only thing I've found that consistanty helps is to take a low dose over-the-counter motion sickness tablet about an hour before the dive. If I do get sick, I try to look at the horizon or focus on a distant point, go to the lowest centered point in the boat, and/or even get back in the water when anchored.

Last edited:
If I had the problem, first thing that I would do is buy some motion sickness pills and start taking the a day before I went diving. Other than that maybe you could jump in the water a few times during the SI. That helped my Bro on his first couple ocean dives.

What is some remedys for getting seasick at surface intervals , and have no side effects when diving.

My best solution has been nasal irrigation with double strength saline ( two of the pre-made containers per bottle, one full bottle per nostril) ....just before leaving for dive trip, and then 2 aspirin as the boat departs the dock( or 10 minutes earlier, depending).
Middle ear can be very contributory, and it can be helped alot by the irrigation--at double strength, this acts like a strong decongestant , and would have no drug interaction effects that I could imagine--it is not a drug.
Asperin just helps drop inflamation in the middle ear more, and the combo seems to work well for me...I used tog et sea sick for like 20 years, once it hit 4 to 6 footers, if I did not take triptone or equiv.... I prefer NOT to take drugs, and the nasal irrigation works almost as well--maybe better.

There is also a homeopathic remedy for nausea from diesel fumes...they are little white dot sized things you use like a lozenge....Diesel is terrible for some people, perhaps way worse than the waves....someone gave me a pack of these, and they did seem to be great for the diesel, right up until the container got wet in my dive bag....Not really sure where to get more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom