DC1 DIN/Yoke Conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victorzamora

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, I'm about to purchase a whole Hollis setup but have gotten cold feet about one subject....DIN/Yoke. I will almost certainly be purchasing a DC1 (unless you recommend another for some reason). My thoughts are this: I don't want to spend all of this money on gear I'll have to replace if I step up to more serious diving. I was going to purchase the DIN version and get a Yoke adapter....but they seem to make the first stage get too close to my head and get really in the way and not work very well. Is there a conversion kit to "permanently" convert the DC1 from Yoke to DIN or vice-versa? I guess "internally" would be the better word. Also, do these kits degrade breathing performance at all....or will a "converted" DC1 breathe just as well as an unconverted one?

I can not help specificly with your question but I will throw this at you... Some/many places near and abroad have yoke only as I have come to find out. I converted my SR1 from yoke to DIN but I am glad I carry my yoke with me so in case the location is yoke only I can convert back. If its only a few dives I will dive with the conversion DIN/yoke but that becomes a hassle after X amount of dives...

Regarding upgrading gear; like most who dive alot and not the occasional vacation diver find ourselves upgrading quite a bit...

Just my thought! lee

Yeah, that's why I want Yoke...but if I start diving more seriously (more tech-y) I'll regret not having gone DIN. Also, if I buy a tank it'll be DIN. DIN is just so much safer. That's why I want a conversion kit, so I can ideally use both as if my first stage was natively meant to do both. Like, if I buy a DIN DC1 and convert it to yoke, it won't have the problems of an adaptor (you know, banging me in the head....I have done mostly boat diving) and will act JUST as if I purchased a Yoke reg.

About upgrading: Yeah, I know...I'm in a lot of hobbies and in all of them I catch myself upgrading despite my best efforts on the contrary. However, if I upgrade now my "old" gear will go to my fiancee...so I want her to have good stuff, too :D

I haven't tried with this specific regulator, but I regularly use a DIN to yoke converter when I go on trips. I've found that slightly lowering my tank in my BCD keeps me from knocking my head against the first stage. This is the adaptor I use and it seems to be about as low profile as I've seen: Aqua DIN to Yoke Regulator Converter (A100)

Talk to the retailer who would be selling you the Hollis reg.
As an authorized dealer, the shop should be able to tell you whether a yoke to DIN conversion kit may be purchased. (I do believe that Hollis offers one for the DC1 reg.)
Typically, a yoke to DIN conversion kit will cost $50 - $80.

FWIW, such conversion kits do not affect breathing performance at all.

For anyone looking, I called Hollis and was told that Hollis offers nothing of the sort. They sell an adapter, but not a conversion kit. No big deal, just hoping for something internal. I was advised that a DIN reg and a Din->Yoke converter was significantly better than the other way around.

For anyone looking, I called Hollis and was told that Hollis offers nothing of the sort. They sell an adapter, but not a conversion kit. No big deal, just hoping for something internal. I was advised that a DIN reg and a Din->Yoke converter was significantly better than the other way around.
Thanks for the update. Wow. That's surprising. Perhaps since Hollis is geared toward "tech divers," the company did not feel compelled to support yoke conversion in their line of regs. :idk:

There are a lot of other regs out there that offer such a conversion kit. Zeagle, Aqualung, Scubapro, Atomic Aquatics, etc.

Yoke vs. DIN. I don't think anyone can say one is "better" than the other. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Use the connection that is more convenient/makes sense/better suited for the given application.

You've already decided on Hollis so no sense reiterating that an official conversion for Hog will be available next month but speaking as one who uses a converter on my singles set up it's no big deal. I even have a dss plate that is a shallower bend than most and with al 80's and steel 95' s there is no issue with the reg hitting the back of my head.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

@BubbleTrubble: After I looked into conversion kits for other companies, I'm a little surprised Hollis doesn't do it as well. The guy made it sound like there MIGHT have been a kit, but that it was either cost prohibitive or that it needed to be installed by a Hollis dealer (or both). I was hoping for better, but I'm not disappointed. One thing I AM disappointed by is that Hollis still hasn't shown up here. Oh, well...they responded to my phone call quickly. Anyone interested in calling them back and seeing what the answer they get is?

Also, when I said "better" earlier...I meant that DIN on the reg and a DIN/Yoke converter is better than Yoke on the reg and Yoke/Din converter. Reason being that when diving Yoke, it's all the safety of Yoke. When diving DIN it's all the safety of DIN. Yoke on the reg means that when diving DIN, I still have an external Yoke connection so it's no better than diving yoke in the first place. That's all I meant.

@JimLapenta: I am a little peeved that Hollis doesn't offer it, but it's not really a big deal. However, it's great to hear that it's not too big of a deal. I wasn't thinking it'd be TOO annoying, I just want the "right" setup y'know?

@BubbleTrubble: After I looked into conversion kits for other companies, I'm a little surprised Hollis doesn't do it as well. The guy made it sound like there MIGHT have been a kit, but that it was either cost prohibitive or that it needed to be installed by a Hollis dealer (or both). I was hoping for better, but I'm not disappointed. One thing I AM disappointed by is that Hollis still hasn't shown up here. Oh, well...they responded to my phone call quickly. Anyone interested in calling them back and seeing what the answer they get is?
Hmmm. There's a big difference between not offering a conversion kit...and offering one but recommending that installation be performed by a Hollis dealer.
I highly doubt that a DIN-to-yoke conversion kit would be cost-prohibitive. As I mentioned before, other manufacturers offer such a kit for $50-$70.
The Hollis dealer should have given a clear, unambiguous answer. It's not a difficult question at all.
Either Hollis sells the kit...or it doesn't.
Also, when I said "better" earlier...I meant that DIN on the reg and a DIN/Yoke converter is better than Yoke on the reg and Yoke/Din converter. Reason being that when diving Yoke, it's all the safety of Yoke. When diving DIN it's all the safety of DIN. Yoke on the reg means that when diving DIN, I still have an external Yoke connection so it's no better than diving yoke in the first place. That's all I meant.
If your reg is yoke-configured, you must use it with a yoke tank valve -- there is no manufacturer-approved yoke-to-DIN adapter.
In order to make a yoke-configured reg work with a DIN tank valve, you need to convert the reg to DIN.
As I mentioned previously, most manufacturers have conversion kits to convert the a yoke reg to DIN and vice versa. You'll need the kit, appropriate tools, and torque specs to do the conversion properly.

If your reg is DIN-configured, with the aid of a DIN-to-yoke spin-on adapter, you can still use it with a yoke tank valve. No tools are required. The adapter just spins onto the DIN threads, and you use the adapter to make the yoke connection on the tank. The only disadvantage of this kind of connection is that it can make the reg jut out a little more. Depending on how the tank is mounted on the BC, some people complain that such a connection bumps into the back of their head. :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom