DSS arrived :) Question about regulator to BC adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supai

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I configured my backplate last night with my wetsuit on under a fan at top speed in the hot Brisbane summer. I have to remember not to lift my arm up when I put on my wet suit. The roof fan can really take a chunk out of your fingers. Hopefully I will be able to see some sharks this weekend, because the blood on my wetsuit will probably attract them :)

I have a question about the BC inflate pipe. I now have the DSS BC and my girlfriend has a Scubapro BC. I see the connectors are different sizes. We are renting Scubapro regulators at the moment so I need some kind of adapter to get the regulator into the BC. Also when we go on holiday the company that we will be using has Aqualung regulators so I assume we will both need Aqualung to DSS / Aqualung to Scubapro adapters. Where can I find these adapters?

Does your GF have an Air2 or other inflator/octo combo? Most inflators alone have pretty standard connections. If the connection is non-standard, you only need to change out the hose, not the entire regulator.

She has the Air2. I saw my DSS connector is different than her connector so I won't be able to connect the Scubapro low pressure hose to my connector

the problem is the Air2 connector. You could switch to the DSS connector hose but that will leave you without an octo. I would expect the shop should also have some standard rig with a separate octo that should have the hose connection you need for your inflator.

Yeah, the Air2 connector is different from the standard inflater hose connector.

No big deal. Just swap out the inflater hose so that it works with whatever it's getting plugged into.
This process requires the appropriate hose, one wrench (an adjustable one works), and a couple of minutes. I recommend you do this prior to boarding a rocking boat.

All modern reg first stages have several standard 3/8 UNF low pressure ports. Any standard inflater or reg hose will screw into such a port.

FYI, the vast majority of rental regs will have a standard inflater hose installed which fits your DSS power inflater but not your GF's Air2.
Thus, if you are traveling and renting regs, your GF's setup (Air2) is going to be the one that may present inflater hose connector compatibility issues.
For this reason, some Air2 owners carry an adapter that converts the standard inflater hose connector to an Air2-compatible connector.
Before your vacation, talk to the dive shop where you'll be renting your regs to make sure that they have the appropriate hose/connector for her Air2.

Cool will mail them now to find out what we can do. Worst case we just rent all the equipment there

For this reason, some Air2 owners carry an adapter that converts the standard inflater hose connector to an Air2-compatible connector.
I have only seen such an adapter once. Going from Air2 hose to std inflator is fairly common. I beleive the problem going the other way is that the schrader valve in the std connector simply may not provide enough air flow to support breathing requirements.

I have only seen such an adapter once. Going from Air2 hose to std inflator is fairly common. I beleive the problem going the other way is that the schrader valve in the std connector simply may not provide enough air flow to support breathing requirements.
If the flow through a Schrader valve is the limiting factor, couldn't the Schrader valve just be removed?

The Air2 to std inflater adapter would also be useful in certain situations. The problem is that, although the Air2 hose could then be connected to a standard power inflater, the diver would still need to arrange some sort of alternative air source.

My friend also has Air2 octo/inflator on her BC, but she doesn't have a regulation yet. Wherever she go, she will bring that air2 hose with her and have the dive shop swap out the hose on their rental reg. The issue is that she almost forgot to get the hose back on return quite a few times. She is switching back to regulator inflator on her next dive trip.

Didn't your wing come with the right fitting hose? I bought zeagle, Chriso supplied me with a hose and asked what first stage I had.
They normally do come with a hose, take it up with the supplier.
You can forget about good viz awhile yet in brisso.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom