Can nomad xt serve my needs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darushin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello. I am looking at nomad xt to replace and consolidate a couple of my rigs. Ideally i need a bcd system that can be used in the following scenarios:

1. Boat diving (ndl) using singles
2. Deep diving from boat (deco/ndl) using two tanks
3. Cavern and light cave diving. By light cave diving i mean tdi's intro to cave level diving.

My current diving split is 35% singles using boat, 40% cave and 25% deep diving. Would the xt be able to handle these profiles? If so what accessories and attachments would you reccomend? If not do you have sugestions on a product that would?

Daru

Pete Nawrocky, a Dive Rite rep and instructor, would say yes. Your LDS, however, will say no. I have used my Nomad XT for side mount and single tank dives. It will also mount doubles and a rebreather although I haven't used it for that yet.

It came with the bungees and single tank straps. I needed to buy the four pocket weight plate for side mount. You'll need the Transpac Stabilizing Plate for doubles.

Pete Nawrocky, a Dive Rite rep and instructor, would say yes. Your LDS, however, will say no. I have used my Nomad XT for side mount and single tank dives. It will also mount doubles and a rebreather although I haven't used it for that yet.

It came with the bungees and single tank straps. I needed to buy the four pocket weight plate for side mount. You'll need the Transpac Stabilizing Plate for doubles.

Thanks for the input! Let me ask you this, when diving it in a single backmount is the system stable? I have seen several dual use systems where the single tank use is flimsy or more or less useless in real life.

Ben

I've tried the one setup fits all types of diving. The closest I found was the Transpac II, and it wasn't great. I'd love to sell you a Nomad XT, but I really don't believe that all types of diving can be done perfectly with a single Setup. Plus, the hassle of switching the rig back and forth for each different type of diving is a pita.

Changing the gear config really isnt a pit because my current predive gear config i do at home consists of deciding what bcd to use, which reg then goes with that bcd, what gear i need from my other configs for the dive, assembling the gear and packing it. This can take upto a good hour to accomplish. Ideally i would much rather plan on do i need a single tank band or double tank setup and what extra equipment i need to add specific to the dive. Looking at the xt and considering i am in a double configuration 65% of the time, i would believe there is a solution that could handle the 35% of time i'm in singles.

Thanks for the input! Let me ask you this, when diving it in a single backmount is the system stable? I have seen several dual use systems where the single tank use is flimsy or more or less useless in real life.

Ben

I didn't notice the tank flopping around on the deck or under water. It seemed pretty solid even if there is no back plate or anything rigid to support the two tank straps. Here is a dive rite video on setting up double tanks: Dive Rite TV channel, diving videos, dive gear videos, training videos: Dive Rite Scuba

I love my Nomad and dive it everywhere I go. I dive open water, cave, deep and shallow. I dive this side mount and back mount. it only takes a few minutes to reconfigure. No problem. It is nice to have a unit that I know and trust every time I dive. The only thing I might add is a back plate unit might be nice as a second BC because of the weighting issue when back mounting. There is nothing wrong with the DR weight system that you can buy, but I don't like wearing weight pockets! When wearing a dry suit I need a few additional pounds in addition to my steel tank. I find the single back mount setup to be very stable. This is MHO! In the end what works for me may not be the best for you!

I bought the nomad XT (dual bladder) for an all around, modular single&doubles backmount, and ofcourse for sidemount diving when I get into it. I did every Tec Deep training dive on backmount doubles, AL and steel tanks, and many recreational NDL single tank dives with a Single Tank Adapter. When on the surface the tank has the tendancy to roll to a side, but in the water its not noticeable. Switching from STA to doubles takes 1-2 minutes max, and from what ive seen the same for sidemount, considering you have the tanks & regulators rigged for it. I also bought a Dive Rite RX2 sidemount light that I buttmount quite easily with the Quick Pull strap, and I havent had a single problem yet. I love the placement of the backup inflator, its not over the shoulder as other dual bladder systems that ive seen, its stashed on the inner right side of the wing, accessible but out of the way so you have more view over your front.

If you sidemount for any of that diving you can get the Nomad weight plate which mounts on the back of the system, which can reduce or elimiate the need for a belt. I bought all of my DR gear through Dive Gear Express, Dive Rite & DGE are speedy to reply and happy to help with any questions or problems. If you do tec boat diving, one thing to note is that the regular buttplate is long enough to touch the seats when tanks are positioned upright, no big deal but if your just using it for stage clipping, the Dive rite "tech butt plate" is considerably shorter and is easier to clip to.

I'm glad you brought up this thread. I'm getting into cavern this summer and wanting to get into an intro tech class. I've had the same concerns as far as wanting a system that could go between both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad you brought up this thread. I'm getting into cavern this summer and wanting to get into an intro tech class. I've had the same concerns as far as wanting a system that could go between both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tess,

I have a XT that is currently used for side mounted doubles. You're welcome to borrow it, take it apart, and see what's involved in 'swapping' it between BM singles, doubles, & SM.

Back
Top Bottom