DivethePen March 17, 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
DivetheCoast Los Angeles county organizers are scheduling a DivethePen (Palos Verdes) 14 mile distance dives starting March 17, 2012. Day one will cover about 9 dive sites, and will be a 3.15 mile leg. Estimated time 2 to 3 hrs. Depending on interest or current physical states at that point, continuing another 4.15 miles may be added covering another 10 dive sites. Estimated time on that 2nd leg-3 to 5 hrs.

All fit and "shorediving experienced" divers welcome! Teams will be in 3's=2 divers + 1 "diver preferred" kayaker (hauling tanks, signal device, hydration, etc.)

Give aways and raffled items to benefit California Ships to Reefs . org in their ongoing efforts to reef California coastline, in particular Santa Monica Bay!

Contributing Los Angeles dive clubs, shops, and divers welcome to benefit their own causes and adventures by advertising on day(s) of events.

Conditions permitting, the 17th of March 2012 is the scheduled day 1. Storm swells, rain or high winds can push day 1 to the 24th of March 2012. Leg 2 and or 3, 4, can fall on the following Saturdays!

For getting on the list, questions and suggestions email brian@hardcorediveteam.com

There has to be "some" divers here from SoCal Scubaboard (whom I claim to the world as being the best)that show interest in this event as it is intended bring awareness to non profit orgs (Californiashipstoreefs.org ) coastal protection orgs, a networking of dive clubs, shops, divers and local residents towards the benefits of our California Coast line. It wasn't my idea, but I am a part of the Los Angeles County organizing team. DivetheCoast, was created in September/August by a group in Santa Cruz, the ideas & plans were being shared here in the SB chat room. Being from So Cal, I jumped in and had confidence to give the Originator/Creator Kim White, that the idea "is big!" And since then its work has gained local divers, international interest, scuba gear manufacturers, dive clubs, charter services, travel agencies, etc. It's regularly growing. Facebook DivetheCoast, or go to Dive The Coast

The only set of slow responders are here on SB. I know there's a fairly large group of So Cal divers here. To get involved and or dive, this Los Angeles county dive you can contact brian@hardcorediveteam.com or kim@divethecoast.com . To gather a force from Los Angeles county to participate in this would show what I claim is true, that you are the best! It's not necessary to complete the entire distances to be a part of it. Plan a navigation path of your choice in your team, and DivethePen (Palos Verdes Peninsula) 1,2,3-5 tanks! Thank you!

I think that the "fit" requirement probably eliminated a lot of us older folks.

Fnfalman!! I'm looking at the pics on the Sundiver, I look like the guy on the left or to your right! I'm 52. If you're a day over 45 you're looking good! I know some divers are just plain busy, at least that's the excuse I keep relaying to the other counties. Like maxbottomtime I can understand he's got his own busy schedule, we're out almost as much as he is, from the shore, and lately we've been getting spoiled by going out on a private boat. Maybe I should retype the post? The fit part was only kind of a, well your right, it was fishing for divers no matter how old, that can cover any distance from point A to point B. Again it would be beneficial to all orgs already "in" , to get some diver interest even if some teams went from Malaga Cove to Haggartys, you wouldn't need a kayak supporter for that. You could make that small loop and never move the car.

Maybe I shouldn't use that fit part, March shouldn't be hot, but if the sun is out, the short walk can generate some heat, keep the wetsuits peeled down until the water's edge. This is only going to be "stage" one, or attempt #1. What's going on in say like Monterey Bay is sandy bay dives. Access is a lot easier. PV as you know is where the best diving is. Anyway thanks for the reply!! There's a chance this wont attract many, I think 12 so far are up for it. I'm hoping for about 20 divers at least. Already HardcoreDiveTeam, Team Sharkys, and Fred Bommers So Cal Divers meet up group is going to be there.

Go to Facebook Page HardcoreDiveTeam to get in on the comments or if you wanna dive it!! See who's "attending." Make suggestions etc. thanks

Last edited:
fnfalman! thanks to you DivethePen now has a broad range of dives styles and profiles that reach out and include divers who aren't in any specific shape, it's beneficial to include everyone except divers with disabilities, we don't have the support for that. Now there's a Vets and a Seniors category! I reposted that for the 17 of March. So basically it's going to be regular dive for anyone that would rather do that, AND they'd be a part of DivetheCoast intended purpose!! It's about getting divers together along the California Coast, meeting new contacts of divers to go diving with, while supporting an awareness of what we as Californians have right here! Thanks

Would you like to ask your friends if they would be interested??

It is with regret that we bring this news to anyone here on ScubaBoard who was looking forward to a unique oportunity to be a part of Dive the Pen. Conditions took a dump for March 17, 2012. Today we went in out at Flat Rock Palos Verdes to find less than 3' viz from the surface to 40ft in depth. High winds, also expected in 3 days, coupled with rain seem to put a lid on the day for diving this event! It doesn't happen often in So Cal, I'm sure all the active divers who were planning on attending, knows this. A reschedule in May 2012 is in the sights, our captain covering the surface support is going in for surgery and will be out of the water for a few weeks. There were 15 divers committed to this, besides all the SB regulars divers here. Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom