D-70

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HAZMATdoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After a long absense from diving I am looking to get back into the sport and would love to combine my photography hobby with it. I have several Nikons to shoot with on dry land but was wondering if there were any housings out there for a D-70 or if anyone had a used one they wanted to part with at a descent price. I am looking forward to reading the posts and learning all I can from you experianced folks out there

In case you're not aware, you'll need to acquire other things that are compatible with the housing, i.e. ports (generally one dome and one flat, minimum), extension rings, zoom and focus gears as a start. You need to think longer term since most or all of this extra stuff should be compatible with new housings from the same manufacturer in the future. So you're picking a manufacturer and most photogs try to stay with the same manufacturer as they upgrade cameras and housings.

There is also a decision on the strobes and method of triggering, i.e. electronic or optical.

There's plenty of good info on all of this here and on wetpixel.com.

BTW I've shot with a D70 and Aquatica housing for years. But am finally looking to upgrade to a D7000.

Couldn't these cameras be put in one of those old school SLR housings? All you got to do is bend the shutter lever so it presses the shutter button. You can't use much of the other things, but with an external strobe, all one has to do is set it to a single shutter speed and aperture, then let the external strobe control the strength (either manual strobe or ones with light sensors). Triggering the strobe could be via fiber optics and the camera's flash popped up.

Couldn't these cameras be put in one of those old school SLR housings? All you got to do is bend the shutter lever so it presses the shutter button. You can't use much of the other things, but with an external strobe, all one has to do is set it to a single shutter speed and aperture, then let the external strobe control the strength (either manual strobe or ones with light sensors). Triggering the strobe could be via fiber optics and the camera's flash popped up.

I thought about that when converting to digital years ago.

The answer is probably yes but with limitiations.

You would need to be pretty good at "home manufacturing" bits and pieces or at least know somebody who is and can make adaptors etc., for the replacement camera.

I still have a D70 in a Sea&Sea housing which I carry with me on occasions with the 10.5mm lens fitted during the summer here in UAE when it is whale shark season, just in case!

I do have an Aquatica housing with dome and macro ports for a Nikon F801 and a Tussey housing for the F3 with macro ports

Hola hi i am selling my aquatica housing for d70s and a almost new d70s

Back
Top Bottom