nubie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usmcdad67

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Just starting out in the dive world, and looking for a good all around BCD, for travel, warm and cold water. How does the Aqualung (sea quest) balance sound?
:idk:
Dave

You might want to try a few "rentals" to see what you like, and what fits best, before you make a purchase

The Balance is a fantastic back inflate BC, I own 2 of them (1 to teach in the pool, 1 for Open Water). It will suspend you perfectly in a horizontal in the water column. On the surface it may take a little getting used to. Do not over inflate it, or it will want to push you face first into the water. Put just enough air to float at chin level.The Balance travels very well & made of tough materials. Make sure you get it big enough for the thickest wetsuit or drysuit you'll be wearing. That may possibly make it a tad big for your warm water exposure protection. Just a "head's up".

I have an old balance, back inflate, a sea quest pro, and a newer sea quest balance. The new one is my favorite bc of all time, and have use a bunch of bc's from a variety of manufacturers. Personal preference, fit and comfort are important, and the balance suits me fine.
DiveasterDennis

I definitely second the recommendation that you try out a few different styles of BCD before jumping in and purchasing your own. Try a few different styles of jacket BCDs and also back-inflate BCDs if you can get your hands on some. Most dive shops will only rent the jacket style, so you will need to look around. Good luck!

Just starting out in the dive world, and looking for a good all around BCD, for travel, warm and cold water. How does the Aqualung (sea quest) balance sound?
:idk:
Dave

Hi Dave, your first reply had the best answer. Don't be fooled about trying them on in your LDS as the test for a good BC, at a minimum jump in the pool. Some BC';s have extra padding (feels good in the LDS) which is extra bouyancy which is extra weight for your weight belt. Some float you face down if you are unconscious or want to rest on the surface. Some are so bulky that they cause lots of drag in the water. Some have lots of clips for the gadetorial seductor that is in all of us divers. Some are hugely overpriced. Since we all have different reasons for our dives, like buying a boat, you have to get one that does the job it is being purchased for.

Back
Top Bottom