Advice needed for a versatile wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver71_au

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have just started to expand my diving into sidemount, and while I love the feeling of no tank on my back I also understand that this kind of diving does have some limitations and in some cases backmounting (singles primarily) is the best option.

I am looking to try and get the right gear to allow me the flexibility to do both without running two different BCD setups.

I do have a transpac but at this stage no wing to go with it. I hope someone can suggests a good allrounder for me (for side and backmounting).... taking into account that I am now a married man with limited discretionary funds.

Thanks in Advance

OMS do a side-mount adaptor, that works with existing BP&Ws, called the 'Profile System'. I'm not sure of the overall compatibility with different brands, but it is supposed to work with their specific SM BCD and also their 'regular' wings. They claim it will work with any BP&W that has standard 11" hole spacing. I'm trying to get hold of one now to trial it, but is difficult to source one in the Philippines. My intention is to see how it performs with an Oxycheq 18lb Mach V wing for non-deco dives... and a Halcyon 40lb Evolve and maybe a 30lb Eclipse for staged-deco (>4 tanks).

bpsms.jpg
sidemount-infl.jpg

and with their own specific sidemount wing:

sidemount-defl.jpg

I like the idea of using this converter, because it leaves me in the same BP and harness I use for all my dives; single and double tank. A high level of familiarity with the kit is important for me.

The Hollis SM100 is a multi-use sidemount system, allowing sidemount and/or backmounted single cylinder use. I've found this to be a little bulky for my tastes (if you couldn't guess from my plans above... I like a very minimalist set-up) and would need to hack about it with a sharp knife to get it to my liking. However, if you're used to diving in a jacket BCD it'll probably be fine.

Likewise, the Oxycheq RECON is another multi-use system. Not trialled this yet, but it looks quite similar to the Hollis.

If you're looking for a wing only, then the first issue is your required buoyancy. I don't need much, hence I'm looking at the smaller size single-tank travel wings... but I live in the tropics and only dive in shorts and a rash guard. You also need to decide if you need any form of redundancy with the bladder.

Attachments

• sidemount-infl.jpg
    sidemount-infl.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 487
I have one of the OMS adapters, but just ordered a Nomad XT -- the routing wasn't quite right with my Dive Rite EXP dual bladder wing. But for $76 it was worth a shot Using a smaller single bladder wing would probably allow it to work.

If anybody is in Cozumel over the next few months and wants to try it out let me know.

-bill

I have just started to expand my diving into sidemount, and while I love the feeling of no tank on my back I also understand that this kind of diving does have some limitations and in some cases backmounting (singles primarily) is the best option.

I am looking to try and get the right gear to allow me the flexibility to do both without running two different BCD setups.

I do have a transpac but at this stage no wing to go with it. I hope someone can suggests a good allrounder for me (for side and backmounting).... taking into account that I am now a married man with limited discretionary funds.

Thanks in Advance

What cylinders will you primarily be using in sidemount? Almost any wing can be adapted to sidemount with a little creativity. It just takes sewing some tabs in the right places to hold the wing down. If you will be using steel cylinder you may want to look at a larger capacity wing to use with your transpac. If you will be primarily diving aluminum cylinders then a smaller wing will do. For aluminum cylinders I use a 30lb wing and have plenty of lift. I wouldn't go much smaller than that as the smaller capacity wings tend to be narrow and thicker. You need something a little wider that spreads the lift over a larger area rather than up and out.

I am looking to try and get the right gear to allow me the flexibility to do both without running two different BCD setups. I do have a transpac but at this stage no wing to go with it. I hope someone can suggests a good allrounder for me (for side and backmounting).
Dive-aholic asks the critical question - what (cylinders) will you be diving? You can fit a variety of wings to the Transpac. I have a Nomad, which I like, but it is probably more wing (60lb) than needed for a couple of AL80s, for example.

I also use an older Rec Wings (51 lbs) with a Transpac, and it provides plenty of lift for just about any recreational SM diving, with AL80s, or HP steels (100s or 120s), or LP 112s. I also use the Rec Wing with my SS BP, and an OMS Profile, which Andy (DevonDiver) mentioned. This arrangement is not ideal for confined spaces, but for Open Water sidemount diving, a BP with a wing and the Profile is fine.

For a two-tank rig, I suspect you probably want to stay in the 40+ lb lift range.
Dive-aholic:
Almost any wing can be adapted to sidemount with a little creativity. It just takes sewing some tabs in the right places to hold the wing down.
Exactly. You can use almost any wing. You WILL want to sew some tabs, or use some bungee, to keep the bottom of the wing lobes from tacoing.

I have a Profile mated to a Rec Wing and an old Transpac that worked fine. I did go ahead and get a full Nomad system, which BTW converts to a single back mount by sliding the tank bands into the slots, and away you go

OMS do a side-mount adaptor, that works with existing BP&Ws, called the 'Profile System'. I'm not sure of the overall compatibility with different brands, but it is supposed to work with their specific SM BCD and also their 'regular' wings.

If I am reading that setup correctly, it would be hard to make it work with a soft backpack like the the Transpac, because it block off the tank band straps.

I suppose you could leave them flapping around.

Consider the delta wing/z system from UTD, if you look it up you'll be convinced.

I'm not a fan of one-size fits all and would recommend the Razor II in a heartbeat for sidemount. If you want a combination rig, though, the Hollis SMS100 would work, and I believe it's readily available in your part of the world.

taking into account that I am now a married man with limited discretionary funds.

Sorry, mate, but you're buggered, then.

OK, OK. Apart from that, answer Rob Neto's questions and also let us know whether you dive wet or dry and can we assume salt water?

Back
Top Bottom