Summer diving in Alaska! One question ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

I am looking into Nautilus Swell and it seems like they offer one of the most amazing liveaboards! Yet, I was told that visibility wise the best time to dive Alaska is from December to April and Nautilus Swell does not run in those months. It appears that their first trip in June and last in September. Would diving in these months be worth the expense?

Regards -

Sinbad

Hello:

I am looking into Nautilus Swell and it seems like they offer one of the most amazing liveaboards! Yet, I was told that visibility wise the best time to dive Alaska is from December to April and Nautilus Swell does not run in those months. It appears that their first trip in June and last in September. Would diving in these months be worth the expense?

Regards -

Sinbad

Most certainly. Diving in these months would be worth it. While I have not been diving on the Swell, I had been diving on the previous ship, Nautilus Explorer, which no longer services SE Alaska. The spots they go to are phenomenal and friends whose opinion I value rave about the Swell and are planning multiple return trips on it. I would have been on the Swell this summer had it not been for a trip I was committed to elsewhere. But remember, Alaska diving does require a certain familiarity with dry suits.

Thanks so much CoveDiver. One question: Is Swell the only way to dive those sites or can I stay on land and do day trips?

The Swell is the only way to dive the sites in southeast alaska. Where they go is not accessible from shore dives or day trips unless you have your own boat. Distances involved are just too big and the demand is relatively low.

Hey Dave, did you get any crab? Went out Saturday but did not see anything but a Tanner all beat up and a nudibranch I had never seen before.

Hey John, yea, One on Friday night and another on Sunday Morning. Sunday morning was a whopping 1 minute bottom-time, Had to get the crab and get home for the Superbowl!

657d03db.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom