All the sand, which is there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We weren't planning to dive today. We needed to perform routine maintenance on the boat, but we had nearly full tanks left over from our White Point dive yesterday. We heard from a little bird that there was good visibility early this morning at the Topaz pilings. I think that bird belongs in a cage. By the time we got there after 10:00 it was a sandstorm under water.
We still managed to find a few critters, but only Merry got decent photos.
I found a Cumanotus sp. nudibranch on a pink hydroid ans pointed it out to Merry. Later I found our second Catriona columbiana on a tube worm with another Cumanotus on top of it. Later in the dive I found a tiny flatfish walking on its fins. I've never seen that except on nature films from the tropics. Any help with identification would be greatly appreciated.
Topaz14.jpg

Topaz13-1.jpg

Crawling flatfish

Topaz12-1.jpg

Sanddab race

Topaz11-1.jpg

Barnacle and corynactis on a piling

Topaz10.jpg

Sarcastic fringehead

Topaz8.jpg

Juvenile horn shark

Topaz7-1.jpg

Small patch of squid egg sacs

Topaz1-3.jpg

One of four tall pilings

Topaz5-2.jpg

Short, broken piling in the canyon

Topaz4-3.jpg

Topaz2-3.jpg

Corymorpha nutans

After the dive we ran offshore to warm up the motor oil. Three miles out, we found six Pacific Bottlenose dolphins. They didn't play much, but hung around long enough for a few shots.
Dolphins4.jpg

Dolphins6.jpg

Dolphins2.jpg

Dolphins3.jpg

Dolphins5.jpg

Nice pics of the flat fishies!!!

We saw some of those big dolphins that only eat squids. Don't know what they're called though.

LOVE the pink-mouthed hydroid photos. For some reason, I just adore those delicate little animals, and they are so hard to photograph well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom