Free sand at the Topaz pilings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
And good sand, it is.

Early yesterday, Margaret Webb reported that she relocated her wispy nudi, Cumanotus beaumonti, feeding on Corymorpha nutans at the Topaz pilings. A long-interval swell was stirring up the bottom, but somehow Phil managed to find Margaret's nudi. I tried to get a shot in the sandy surge.

The camera was having a tough time focusing on the thrashing duo, so I moved away to set up focus lock. Turning to re-shoot, I couldn't find the subject again! Lovely.

The next thing I know, Phil finds a tiny Catriona columbiana, which appeared to be feeding on the same Corymorpha hydroid. Still miffed at losing the other subject, I didn't realize that the hydroid was actually another Cumanotus!

This is a great spot for nudi hunters. Doris montereyensis.

DorismontereyensisDSC_2034.jpg

It was so dark (at 45 feet!) that I didn't see the egg mass under this crab. I would have worked harder to show the isopods crawling on the eggs.

Bottlenose dolphins

blue_pixel.gif

Follow Ups:

blue_pixel.gif

Great pics considering the conditions. Heck, your pics under tough conditions still make mine pale in comparison! One day I might take one worth posting.

Great shots! Love the second dolphin shot. There's something about the sheen and reflectivity of water that just beckons to the photographer's eye. Really dig the Catriona / Cumanotus combo captures as well. Excellent series!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom