Any problem leaving a filled tank in the car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteLightning

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment... and well, sometimes I'm lazy and don't want to carry our tanks up and down. This is mostly the case when we're doing dives within the next day or two.

I'm not talking about storing my tanks in the car long-term. I dive Saturday, I'm going again Monday... I'm going to be lazy and leave it. Is it a problem to leave my tanks in the car for two or three days? Is the heat from the day going to cause any dangerous air expansion? The average "winter" day has been 75 and sunny..

Thanks,
W

The air will definitely expand as the interior of the car heats up, but I doubt to the point of an explosion. However, doing this regularly with full tanks will likely decrease the life of the tanks due to the stress of expanding beyond normal use.

One option would be to ask the filler to not top off the tanks completely, e.g. for an AL80 3000psi max pressure, have them fill to 2500.

No. absolute worst case is a burst disk will let loose and cause a bunch of noise and racket. The difference in PSI probably won't be enough to really effect future hydro tests, either.

No. absolute worst case is a burst disk will let loose and cause a bunch of noise and racket. The difference in PSI probably won't be enough to really effect future hydro tests, either.

Diving urban myth: I heard a story about a chap who this happened to, and the increase in air pressure caused when the burst disk gave out supposedly blew out one of the windows in his car.

But it may just be that the guy telling me was full of hot air.

I think it should be OK. I just bought a set of doubles that are way too heavy for me to carry up the stairs. I was concerned about this as well. I asked some very well respected tech divers who assured me that it won't be an issue to leave them in the trunk.

You should worry more about theft of the tanks from the car, then hurting the tanks. SoCal ain't got nothing on the tropics for car temps!

I wouldn't worry about it. I have a couple of HP 100's and assorted deco bottles that pretty much "live" in my pickup year round.

All the best, James

amen to what fdog sed...
ive left them in the scubaru for many days while rotating out of doubles
and leaving singles etc.
tank pressure raises 5# per * of temp aprox
so if its 80* with a 3000# fill it's only going to be 3100# at 100*
your burst discs will take that easily
...then when you hop in the 40* water you say...
"where the hell did my air go??"
have fun
no worries
yaeg

I've also left tanks in vehicles many times with no problem......

Except for that one time when a burst disk let go. It can happen if it gets warm enough. (IIRC the temp was around 100 that day)

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate the great info! I think my laziness is going to be a repeat winner.

Back
Top Bottom