Curaçao snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

altarose

Contributor
Reaction score
We are on Curaçao now. Have snorkeled at playa forti and Kalki, went to both side of forti without finding any reef and completely around roped off area at Kalki and again found coral ruble only, went outside the ropes towards boat morings and found a bit of reef but in deep water.
today we are heading to playa Lagun hopefully will find some better reef, any advise on locations ?
Lots of posts and books recommend Kalki, but we couldn't find any reef and were very disappointed.
but the weather is great and the beer cold:)

When I was in Curacao, I remember going to Playa Kalki (that's the small beach right by the fancy resort in Westpunt, isn't it?), looking it over from shore, and deciding that it didn't seem all that great so we left. I thought the best snorkeling at the western end of the island was at Little Knip Beach and Playa Jeremi. At both of these spots (and Playa Lagun also), there really wasn't any reef until you went far offshore where the water was too deep for snorkeling. Thus, the snorkeling consisted mostly of snorkeling along the cliffs. At first, I was a little disappointed by this, but after I accepted it for what it was, I enjoyed it. Big Knip also had clear water and cliffs, but the snorkeling was not as good as Little Knip and Jeremi although the beach was really nice. As I remember Curacao, the water was very clear and calm, the snorkeling was very relaxed and easy, and if you poked around long enough you found some interesting stuff. I also enjoyed snorkeling at Playa Porto Marie, where there was a little more growth of reef-type corals. I also went to the Tugboat wreck, which is way at the other end of the island, and this was the spot that had the most coral growth that I saw. I was told that there was a very healthy growth of corals just around the corner from the Tugboat, and have seen pictures on Flickr verifying this, but it was too rough the day I was there to venture there. Hope this helps. I enjoyed everything about Curacao,except the air temps were hot!

Hi Dave, thanks for the info, on the advise of a TA member we tried Forti again today up by the boat ramps. saw some turtles, a big green eel and the statue of Neptune all out in deep water. When I was coming into shore (only about 20' out) along some rock shelfs we saw more fish than in the other 3days combined. Lots of good photo opps
Same as you we have decided it is what it is and are enjoying ourselves
we head to Bonaire on Sat for 2 weeks & then to Aruba for 2 more weeks, so I am sure we will get our fill of snorkeling

Dave, I forgot to tell you about the new sd memory card ( eye-fi ) it creates it's own network and sends photos to laptops or in my case iPad without Internet and without opening the camera. Works great only have to open up to refresh battery, less chances of poor camera seal.

Playa Jeremi along the west side cliff was pretty good. I snorkeled there after a dive waiting for my friends.

The Tugboat is where the cruise snorkels go. So go early or later - or when there's no ships in port. The wall around the point is better - at least for diving. You can also dive under the pier - never thought about snorkeling there.

We dove there but I could see Porto Mari being a good snorkel spot also.

Here's a list of other places to try: http://curacao-guide.info/activities/diving.and.snorkeling/

Let me know, if you need some tips on good spots in Aruba ...

Back
Top Bottom