Travel/diving advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bensold

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys,

Just joined the forum so this is all new to me! so I am sorry if im in the wrong forum!

Ok so I discovered scuba diving back in March 2011 and fell in love with it immediately, since passing my open water I have now done my advance and currently doing my Rescue diver qualification.

I originally started scuba as I wanted to take part in some sort of volunteer project involving marine conservation (basically ive been working in insurance for 10 years and needed a long break) I have 3-6months unpaid leave from work agreed so settled on a Greenforce expedition to the Bahamas. However I have since looked at reviews about this trip and although everyone claims to have a great time they all comment that the level of diving promised did not materialize. I also note the average age is 19-24 (im currently 30) so not sure if this is right for me.

I have since fell in love with diving and definitely want to do my DM but not sure which route to take.

So my question is this, does anyone have any advice, should I do a DM internship with the time I already have booked off? or maybe find another vol project to take part in? Has anyone done one they can recommend? does anyone have any opinions of Greenforce? I have the time off and money to spend (saved a long time to allow myself some time off) and as insurance is not where I want to spend the next 10years of my life I would really like to try make this into a career, well I say career I mean a lifestyle, even if its just for a few years.

Thanks for listening ALL comments welcome

Lou

So my question is this, does anyone have any advice, should I do a DM internship with the time I already have booked off?

The DM course is about dive leadership and assisting instructors. It presumes high-quality diving skills. It'd be a waste of time and money to utilise such a course to develop good quality diving skills... especially if you wanted your DM certification to mean something afterwards. When it comes to working as a DM, your competence in the water and your overall diving CV are what matters - not the plastic card in your wallet.

That said, the course is a lot of fun and a nice way to do a lot of diving in a tropical location for a relatively low (cost per dive) amount of money. If you have no intention to forge a career as a working DM, then a trip to Asia and a few weeks grafting in a busy dive shop is a nice experience.

It really depends what you want out of it... and where you consider your skills/experience to be at the moment.

...or maybe find another vol project to take part in? Has anyone done one they can recommend?

Have a look at these threads:

Volunteering with a marine conservation project [Archive] - ScubaBoard

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...nteering-thresher-shark-research-project.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...sher-shark-research-conservation-project.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ocean-conservation/366848-diving-volunteer-projects.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/oc...ne-conservation-dive-holiday-experiences.html

does anyone have any opinions of Greenforce?

Nice torches, mostly popular in the UK but not overseas.

They don't tend to follow the pattern/designs favoured in the current 'trend' for canister lights. i.e. shorter battery pack, worn on waist harness and LED bulbs mounted on a compact 'Goodman' handle.

Popular alternatives, available in the UK, are:

Halcyon and Light-For-Me

Light Monkey

Hello

Thank you very much for the advice and links. On your comments about the DM courses I do really want to work I'm the industry so want to take a dm course that matters and really counts

I have learnt in the uk and now doing my rescue course feel my diving skills have become so much better. I have worked in insurance all my life (currently 30) and feel joes the time to make a change. I'm willing to work hard and from the bottom to building on my skills and knowledge of diving. I started out with a volunteer project in mind when I went to my 1st scuba session as a break from the boring life of insurance. What I found was a passion for something I now want to take further. I'm not in to quick passes and want to work hard to be a good DM (eventually a instructoer one day)

Thanks again for your comments and links. Will be checking them all out

Lou x

Back
Top Bottom