Is it possible to Puke through the reg ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barry_Calgary

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
During my Open Water cert one of the guys on the boat was getting quite ill because of the swells and took 10-15 min on the surface before he was able to start the dive, It was mentioned it's OK you can just puke through your reg if needed.
I imagine that has to be quite an experience because I know when I throw up it can be quite voilent and something I do not want to experience under water. Has anybody experienced this ?
Thanks in advance Barry.

Only once and it was memorable and I've never returned to Key Largo. :)
Diesel fumes, rough seas, and scrambled eggs...well you get the picture, or not. :idk:

Just let it rip, keep the reg in the mouth and the alternate handy.

There have been plenty of debate on this issue.
There is no reason why it shouldn't work unless you're puking chex mix sized chunks. The worse that can happen is a chunk getting stuck in your purge valve and allowing water into your second stage. But you're probably a simple purge away from clearing it.

The flip side to the issue is people will say they can control the urge to inhale after puking, so therefore they take the risk of puking with the regulator out of their mouth. Most of the time this can be true, some people are just good at controlling that urge, but the urge is still there which is why others advocate to just suck it up, so to speak and puke in your regulator.

Try a google search on the issue: "site:scubaboard.com puking in regulator"

the reason for it is that people commonly gasp for air after puking, and you would want your reg in your mouth if this happens.

Maybe I should do an experiment: go home and drink a litre of scotch, and see if I can avoid gasping for air :)

the reason for it is that people commonly gasp for air after puking, and you would want your reg in your mouth if this happens.

Maybe I should do an experiment: go home and drink a litre of scotch, and see if I can avoid gasping for air :)

You're gonna do that under water right??? :D

Just make sure you don't eat celery. Regulators don't like that very much.

It's not only possible, but advisable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom