alternatives to knives for escaping monofilament?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A few years ago I got tangled in a small amount of mono fishing line. Fortunately it was shallow water, and not a lot of line. It wasn't a huge problem, but it sure made me think.

My knife was fine, but it was awkward.

I started looking for alternatives and found this:
Zeagle Dive Line Cutter 5403 with reviews at scuba.com
I know OMS makes one, too.

I buy a fair amount of kit from LA Police gear, and I saw this in the latest newsletter:
Benchmade 5 Rescue Hook

I'm sure there are a lot of people with opinions on these kinds of devices instead of (or in addition to) a dive knife :)

So, let's hear 'em!

I carry two simple dive knives, and stainless paramedic shears. I had a cheap line cutter, but it fell out of the sheath during a dive.
I've been caught in monofilament line twice so far. One time I used a knife to cut it, the other time I was able to break it by hand.

I dont carry a knife at all, but I have three cutting devices usually.
1) OMS line cutter on waistband.
2) EMT shears stuck under OMS line cutter pocket secured with a bungee
3) EMT shears clipped in my right thigh pocket

I had to cut a buddy out of a serious mono-filament mess at 110' or so inside the Grove. I used what I had which was a knife with a gut hook. A zip cutter would have worked or EMT shears. It took a few minutes, but all is well. It was the third time I or a buddy ran afoul of mono.

Carry what you like they all work. I often carry a knife and shears. I like shears as they are cheap. Ebay had them for like 5 pairs for $12. Have not looked in a long while.

Best device on the market is the Eezycut Trilobite and use it off of NJ with no issues. Small, compact, harness model fits right on my wrist computer!!

oeo_video_eezycut_255.jpg

Eezycut equipment for recreational, technical, and wreck.

I carry a small z-knife, which is like a miniature version of the Zeagle cutter referenced. However, the Trilobite line cutters look more practical.
Being paranoid, I also carry an OMS Titanium Line Cutter, a safety shears, and a knife with scalloped blade.
One advantage of the safety shears is that it can cut the line without having to put any tension on it. Even the stainless ones as well as those with a titanium coating will rust if not diligently kept clean. No need to spend a lot, and the cheap stainless hold up pretty well. I do a couple of long trips a year, keep mine in an attached pocket, don't bother to rinse, and just replace it every year or so.

There are also heavier duty shears than the standard safety shears. I've used those as well in the past. Fiscars makes a few, like these: Scissors and Shears by VALUE BRAND - Snips, Shears And Scissors by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies
Short blades are best.

See also:
7 Hook/ Safety Cutter | Benchmade
They have 9 different models, including one quite small.

Lots and lots of different line cutters out there. If you are going to have only one, I would recommend safety shears. Whatever you get, be sure to attach somewhere so you can get with either hand if you happen to be entangled.

Last edited:
I have one of these line cutters on my BC D ring. I put a ring from a carabiner on the cutter housing and place left shoulder so I can reach with either hand. It's cheap enough so don't worry too much about losing.

Innovative Razor Dive Line Cutter TM160 with reviews at scuba.com

Depending on the circumstance, kelp and or wrecks may also put a small knife on my BC webbing.

A few years ago I got tangled in a small amount of mono fishing line. Fortunately it was shallow water, and not a lot of line. It wasn't a huge problem, but it sure made me think.

My knife was fine, but it was awkward.

I started looking for alternatives and found this:
Zeagle Dive Line Cutter 5403 with reviews at scuba.com
I know OMS makes one, too.

I buy a fair amount of kit from LA Police gear, and I saw this in the latest newsletter:
Benchmade 5 Rescue Hook

I'm sure there are a lot of people with opinions on these kinds of devices instead of (or in addition to) a dive knife :)

So, let's hear 'em!

I carry one of those Rescue hooks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom