Diving with non ditchable weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Larsen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a question about diving a bcd system without ditchable weights, this is my set up I dive a Halcyon Bcd and I ust the 6 lb tank tray weight
12-weighted-STA_c400.jpg
10-Eclipse-System_c400.jpg

and my bcd has a stainless steel back plate so with the combined weight of these I only require an extra 4 pounds of led for that I use 2 2lbs in weight pockets that atatch to my waist belt strap of my bcd my question is (and I know ditching weights is a last chance for survival event im either going to drown or if I make it to the surface im going to the Hospital/chamber) what are the risks of not being able to ditch the weights if needed ? I can remove the 2 2 lbers but they are not a quick release system i would have to unsnap the pouches then remove the weights manually.

I dive the same system. I think if you are a confident diver and don't tend to panic, the you could remove your weights when you need to.

I think it is far more important to have weights that don't fall out accidentally than to have easily ditchable weights.

I, too, have the same Halcyon BP/W with weight pockets. (My weight pockets are mounted vertically, so, once unsnapped, the weights fall out. [Is it possible you have yours attached upside down?]) But, as to your question of ditchable weight, you need to be able to swim up to the surface (and tread water once there) in the event of a buoyancy failure. That may or may not require ditchable weight. (You should simulate a buoyancy failure and find out.)

Thanks for the Reply I feel the same way....quick question for you...Have you ever been hasseled by airport security/TSA over the weight inside the tank adapter ?? I was once called into a back room with nothing in it but a chair a lightbulb and a overly official looking guy and my dive gear in the Freeport Bahamas airport..after I disassembled my BC and showed them it was only a dive weight they apologised and let me go...you would think in the Bahamas they would have seen that before !

Search neutral rig or balanced rig. Also balanced rig on you tube.

I have a question about diving a bcd system without ditchable weights, this is my set up I dive a Halcyon Bcd and I ust the 6 lb tank tray weight
and my bcd has a stainless steel back plate so with the combined weight of these I only require an extra 4 pounds of led for that I use 2 2lbs in weight pockets that atatch to my waist belt strap of my bcd my question is (and I know ditching weights is a last chance for survival event im either going to drown or if I make it to the surface im going to the Hospital/chamber) what are the risks of not being able to ditch the weights if needed ? I can remove the 2 2 lbers but they are not a quick release system i would have to unsnap the pouches then remove the weights manually.

John,
I dont think there is an easy answer to your question.
Will you be carrying redundant buoyancy (drysuit / liftbag ) ?
Are you diving in a thick wetsuit ?
If you are confident you should be able to ditch the weight in the pouches.
Practice.
Keep a sharp knife handy so you can cut the weights loose if need be.
Keep in mind that even after you ditch 4 pounds ... it is only 4 pounds.
That should not be that difficult to swim up.

How many times have you heard horror stories of people getting into trouble because they lost their weight belt?

(A lot)

How many time have you heard horror stories of people with non-ditchable weight getting into trouble because they couldn't ditch their weight?

(Only a couple)

I wear a weight belt under my harness, and I carry redudant bouyancy.

Also, at the start of the dive I test whether or not I can swim up from the bottom with an empty BC whenever I have a new configuration.

Number 1 thing seen in lost and found threads always seems to be weight pockets. Imo there is much more risk having ditchable weights than having non ditchable weights and a backup buoyancy device like a lift bag or dry suit. Heck, when im down south all i do is shove 6lb in my pockets (zip up) and im always neutral at the end of the dive. In that case redundancy really isnt necessary, seeing as my bcd never gets inflated. At home is a different story, i dive double steel tanks, wear a drysuit and carry a lift bag. At the most i have ten lb on acweightbelt under my harness. On a tech dive, loss of balast is not an option.

Practice ditching your rig. Everyone should anyway, but that option may turn up sooner if you don't have some other weight to ditch.

Bob
--------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

12-weighted-STA_c400.jpg
10-Eclipse-System_c400.jpg

Seriously? You think ditching 4 lbs of lead is going to take you rocketing to the surface and then on to a trip to a chamber? in a real emergency, it would probably better to just swim up the extra 4 lbs of weight than screw around trying to ditch 4 lbs from some pocket that is not designed for it!

Your concept of risk seems unrealistic. Many divers drown on the surface or make it to the surface and then fail to ditch their lead. I think you need to be able to easily and quickly ditch whatever amount of lead is necessary for you to be able to swim yourself up from the bottom without the use of your BC. if that requires you to have 2, 4, 8, or 12 lbs of lead on a belt or ditchable, then fine, just figure it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom