Refugio State Beach Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

while i have not been there recently, I have hundreds of dives at Refugio. I dived it so often they started refering to the west reef a"Jim's Reef" at the dive shop where I worked. I will be diving there when I come down this summer.

There are two reefs at Refugio. One is the west reef that goes from the point and extends eastward toward the creek mouth. There can be a surf entry at Refugio and if that is a problem moving up toward the point may be an option for you. The west reef is a rock reef that comes off the bottom and supports a nice kelp bed. My practice was to enter the water, surface swim to the reef, about 30 feet from the edge of the kelp and drop down on the edge of the reef. It my time it supported a diversity of marine life. Look in the holes for octopi, sheep crabs, and do on. The west reef is definitely the better of the two. That said, the east reef is closer in and a shorter swim. It is a series of ledges that look as if they have been twisted to be at various angles. In season, one can find a number of rock fish back in the holes and dungenous crab. Before you go, check the ocean water quality report for Refugio. The canyon flushes the creek with each rain drving vis down with a mudline which can also affect the fecal coliform numbers for the water.

Back
Top Bottom