where would you go (in the USA) ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Cheng and I have some frequent flyer miles to use up before she heads back to Africa. We're thinking of a "long week-end" type dive trip somewhere in the continental USA ... preferably someplace relatively warm, although it doesn't have to be tropical. Time frame is probably mid to late March or early April at the latest.

Some considerations are Florida Keys, Panama City area, or perhaps North Carolina. I've been to PC but only for a single, 2-dive day trip. It was quite OK. Never been to the Keys or anywhere else in Florida except cave country. Never been to NC ... would that even be an appropriate consideration for late winter/early spring?

Other thoughts, suggestions welcome ... we're just in "brainstorm" mode at this point ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Might be a little early for NC. The Keys sound nice!

Definitely the Upper Keys.

Dove in Key West last March and I really enjoyed it. Really enjoyed diving the Vandenberg wreck. Havn't dove the upper Keys, yet.

Bob, we had an absolute ball diving off West Palm Beach last February. I was simply amazed at how colorful and healthy the reefs were, and the hotel where we stayed (Singer Island Hilton) was very comfortable and one of the friendliest places I can remember in a long time. Dan Volker lives there, and he's a fantastic host. Although we didn't get to dive it because of water contamination issues, the Blue Heron Bridge seems like a mecca for photographers, too.

A "long weekend" doesn't give you much diving because of your flight home. Might as well stay home.

If you want warm in March-April, that about limits you to Florida.

Key West sucks, as does the diving. And you're looking at a lo-o-ong drive or multiple flights to get there. Cost of lodging is astronomical.

The upper Keys offer the most diversity in terms of reefs and wrecks. Problem is the 1-2 hour drive from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, and the outrageous cost of lodging.

The east coast of Florida offers quick access but the diving is so-so.

I'd head to Key Largo if I were you.

Your time frame puts you in Florida when the water is the coldest. I wear a dry suit if the weather is going to be overcast or rainy during that time.

Why limit yourself to the continental USA? March-April in Cozumel would be fantastic and cheap, a lot better than anything Florida has to offer, and would likely be a lot cheaper than Florida.

Been to Coz ... checked it off the bucket list, and don't need to do it again. Just not my cup of fun.

By a "long week-end" I mean three days of diving, with a day on either side for travel.

Limited to continental US because that's where our tickets will take us.

Don't mind packing drysuits ... we dive them regularly at home. And by our standards, the coldest Florida water is still "warm".

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, don't forget SoCal either. While the water isn't warm, it is still a lot warmer than here. The flights are very easy and the diving is fun (as you well know). Add the availability of a number of very welcoming local hosts.....

I'm also with Lynne -- our dives in West Palm Beach were lots of fun.

I would be thinking Key Largo. There a plenty of good dive sites. The hotels can be pricey. Check out betterbidding.com for some tips on maximizing priceline and hotwire. It will helps save you some money.

Second or third (I lost track) for Key Largo. Third largest barrier reef in the world.

Check out Rainbow Reef, they have a package builder on their website and can get you decent hotel rates. Their boats are parked next to the hotel parking lot, so it's a 100 yard walk to and from the boats. I found that nice.

Back
Top Bottom