Compass Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just bought a used suunto sk6 compass off eBay and it doesn't seam to be working right. It won't point north no matter what I do, east shows north, north shows west and so on.. It's driving me crazy.

How familiar are you with using a compass? (I apologize for having to ask this question.)
Any strong magnetic fields or large metal objects nearby? :D
Is the inner dial freely moving?

Compare it to a compass known to be working. Do the two compasses give the same reading?
Make sure that you aren't reading the turnable bezel.

If the inner dial is stuck, then you should get another compass or try to return it to the Ebay seller.

Well I'm sure I'm going to sound like tech support now.
- Is there any foreign metal substances in the compass mount?
- Any exterior magnetic sources around your testing area?
- Is the compass a Southern Hemisphere compass?
- Any air bubbles in the compass?
- any inconsistency in the liquid within the compass?
- Any cracks in the compass?

If you answered no to all questions then I'd give the seller a call.

Thanks guys, after checking all of those things, it will read West (90D) on the side window but when I turn towards the North the card will swing towards the Northwest about half-way, but as I swing more North and eventually East it will stop, and start moving back towards the West. I'm going to take it to the LDS and have them look at it. Thanks for the help

I doubt there is much a lds can do for you as you purchased it used on ebay. But it sounds like it is working ok ..Do you know how to read a compass? User eror?

I had this problem once with a Suunto Compass attached to a Cobra Computer. It turned out that there was a crack in the container which caused something to compromise the reliability of the compass. Solution was a complete replacement of the compass with a new one. Problem solved.

They can at least assist me in verifying if it is or isn't working. Why do you think it's working ok? And yes I know how to use a compass, a very basic way is to turn towards the north and the needle should turn towards the north. I'm aware its reverse scale.....

Hate to say this but, are you sure you know which way north actually is. My wife insisted a compass was broken because she knew which way our house faced, showing her another one only proved I don't own one that works right. The compass was right but I won't show it to her in the house again, unless I want a new one.

Bob
--------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

90 degrees is East........ =|

Can you give us an update after you get the compass sorted. I'm curious as to what the problem is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom