What is considered minimum eqiupment for diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barry_Calgary

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First off thanks for all the responses to my previous posts I'm sure when I look back years from now and realize how newby my questions really were I will laugh. I participate in other none scuba related forums and Scuba board is by far the most friendly non
demeaning forum there is, thanks for that every-one.
Now getting to my question, what would be the minimum equipment requirements for recreational type diving for a beginner.
I have just completed my open water and starting to understand from reading about near misses and so forth that I certainly could be better prepared. The only equipment I own so far is my own mask and snorkel.
Watch and knife are two items that I have on my list before my next dive in March.
Any comments greatly appreciated.
Thanks Barry

The equipment you need.

Fins / boots
Exposure protection - wetsuit or drysuit
BC - I like back inflate like Zeagle or a BP
Regulator - including 1st, 2nd, Octo, SPG
Dive Computer - Nitrox compatible is best as you can not add it later

You likely don't need a watch or knife.

Good Luck

While RonFrank's post lists what is common, it's certainly not what is a minimum set to dive. It is probably close to a minimum set to dive as modern divers do but modern diving is nowhere near a minimum gear kit.

The question I ask is: "What are you looking for minimums for--to understand or to limit your purchases on a budget?"

The minimums are a mask, fins, tank, with regulator (1st and second stage) and some sort of pressure and depth gauge. People dove for years without BCs (hell they dove for years without pressure gauges) and some people still like diving without them.

If you're looking to dive on a budget, then buy gear piece-meal or used but don't skimp on equipment that isn't "necessary". (BCs are generally considered necessary these days, for example, for a good reason. They make diving easier and more fun. Computers are far from necessary, but they do make things easier for most folks. Octos are far from necessary but a lot of operators won't let you dive without one on your kit because they make sense from a safety perspective.)

If you're looking for a different reason, there's a lot of research here on Scubaboard and in older books about diving that will be quite intriguing.

Yeah Sorry I should have explained a little more, I plan on using the dive companys basic equipment IE: BCD, tanks, reg etc I was thinking more of what other optional type equipment would be good. I have a mask snorkell and fins so far. No computer or watch, knife, flashlight or other items.

I suspect you aren't asking for the minimum you need to dive -- that's a tank, a regulator, and some way to hold it. Fins and a mask are nice, too :)

Typical, basic gear for a recreational diver includes:

Mask
Regulator (one first stage, a primary second stage, and an alternate air source which can be another second stage, or an integrated octo-inflator)
BC (something which holds the tank to your body, and provides some compensatory lift for the gas you breathe out and the compression of your exposure protection with depth)
Fins
Depth gauge and timing device

Most diving requires some kind of exposure protection, which can range from a rash guard to a wetsuit of various thicknesses, to a dry suit; accessories such as hoods and gloves become necessities as the water gets colder.

The more exposure protection you have, the more weight you need, and you need some kind of method for securing those weights. This can be integrated weight pouches in a BC, or a weight belt, or weight harness.

Diving in turbid water or at night requires one or more lights.
Diving off boats makes signaling equipment like whistles, horns, mirrors, or marker buoys a good idea.
Doing your own navigation can make a compass a handy thing.
Doing longer dives makes the tables unpalatable, and makes a dive computer a nice thing to have.

And so on . . . the more diving environments you encounter and the more challenging the diving you undertake, the bigger your dive gear collection will eventually be.

The equipment you need.

Fins / boots
Exposure protection - wetsuit or drysuit
BC - I like back inflate like Zeagle or a BP
Regulator - including 1st, 2nd, Octo, SPG
Dive Computer - Nitrox compatible is best as you can not add it later

You likely don't need a watch or knife.

Good Luck
The computer suggestion is a good one, altho not essential. A watch and tables can work, depending on the dives planned - and there are signaling devices to consider. One doesn't need a SMB in a small practice pit like New Mexico's Blue Hole, but it's foolish to go to sea without such.
While RonFrank's post lists what is common, it's certainly not what is a minimum set to dive. It is probably close to a minimum set to dive as modern divers do but modern diving is nowhere near a minimum gear kit.

The question I ask is: "What are you looking for minimums for--to understand or to limit your purchases on a budget?"

The minimums are a mask, fins, tank, with regulator (1st and second stage) and some sort of pressure and depth gauge. People dove for years without BCs (hell they dove for years without pressure gauges) and some people still like diving without them.

If you're looking to dive on a budget, then buy gear piece-meal or used but don't skimp on equipment that isn't "necessary". (BCs are generally considered necessary these days, for example, for a good reason. They make diving easier and more fun. Computers are far from necessary, but they do make things easier for most folks. Octos are far from necessary but a lot of operators won't let you dive without one on your kit because they make sense from a safety perspective.)

If you're looking for a different reason, there's a lot of research here on Scubaboard and in older books about diving that will be quite intriguing.
Is this based on your 0-24 dive experience? :shakehead: I think he had safer diving in mind.

A knife is an easy thing to add to your kit. I agree that it isn't necessary, but if you get tangled in some fishing line or something, you will be glad you have it.

I would actually carry a knife (or any cutting tool) before a computer. You can dive safely with dive tables and a bottom timer/depth guage. A computer only adds to enjoyment by (usually) allowing more bottom time, and takes a lot of the work out of planning dives.

I also agree with fjpatrum in that a BC is not necessary minimum equipment, but I would never dive without one, and as such treat it as necessary minimum equipment. I think fins are not technically necessary, but I would never dive without them either.

The computer suggestion is a good one, altho not essential. A watch and tables can work, depending on the dives planned - and there are signaling devices to consider. One doesn't need a SMB in a small practice pit like New Mexico's Blue Hole, but it's foolish to go to sea without such.

Is this based on your 0-24 dive experience? :shakehead: I think he had safer diving in mind.
Yes it is based on my 0-24 dive experience. Hence the reason I asked what he was actually asking. There's a big difference between the minimum one needs to dive and what is generally "recommended". I asked for clarification and explained the difference between the two. You will also notice I gave reasons the recommended is recommended... I wasn't proposing the OP dive with a J valve and a mask.

Not having a lot of dives doesn't mean I don't know anything about diving. We can read an awful lot, after all, about things we haven't done. I've never been to the moon, but I know what it takes to get there.

Barry,

You mentioned diving in March. Where are you going? Knowing that can certainly narrow down what "minimum" equipment you might like to have for the diving at that location.

Bill

Hawkwood I will be in Dominican, Punta Cana. As I mentioned I should have worded my question better I will be using the Dive centre basic equipment but was curious as to what I may require optionally. Most of my diving will be vacation type diving with hopefully some cold water diving around Canada/US as well to start off with.
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom