Dumb Question about Air2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's an Air2?

It's a combined alternate air source and inflator. I don't have one and don't have any direct experience, so I'll give you perhaps a dumb answer. A lot (most) of inflator hoses are interchangeable, so it should work on many. Exceptions are Aqualung and some affiliated products like Seaquest, so you need to make sure you have the nice round hose on your BC. Ask your LDS or whoever you intend to buy it from.

most inflator hoses are the same size as the Air2 fitting..... but some aren't, and I am not sure which ones aren't..... I have used them on SP (duh!), Dacor and DUI without problems...

An Air2 requires a 1" corrugated hose which most BCDs have. It also take a different LPI hose connection than the standard connector. The Hose should come with the Air2. If not, it is readily available from numerous sources.

The air 2 fits on most bcds except a few like seaquest who make odd diameter hoses. But dont forget you need the air2 inflator hose because of the larger chuck and dont forget to treat it like a regulator not an inflatoralways use the dust cap!

The air 2 fits on most bcds except a few like seaquest who make odd diameter hoses. But dont forget you need the air2 inflator hose because of the larger chuck and dont forget to treat it like a regulator not an inflatoralways use the dust cap!

Best thing to do with the dust cap is throw it in the trash. Well, it is OK for protecting the sealing surface on the fitting during transport. Do not use it when soaking or drying.

If you get an Air 2 or any other of that sort make sure you have an air dump on the connector to the BC or you have to quit breathing to let air out of the BC from the top. You can just use the a$$ dump but you have to ascend in an unflattering manor.:wink:

A friend put an Air 2 on his wing and he had to switch out the corrugated inflator hose as the origional was too small, and install a dump valve on the BC. He likes it and, thank heaven, it dosen't have to pass a DIR inspection.

Bob
--------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Answer is yes, as long as you have a standard 1' diameter corrugated hose. A new Air 2 should come with it's own inflator hose for the special-wider connection fitting.

To replace you just need shears, 1-2 zip ties, pliers, and possibly a punch. Cut the zip tie(s) holding the inflator to the corrugated hose (EMT shears work best, in my experience). If you have a pull dump on the corrugated hose, there will be a cable running down the length, connected to a pin in your original inflator. Just push the pin out to avoid yanking your cable clean off. Save the pin and the original inflator in case you ever switch back.
Connect your Air 2, making sure it's own pin is reconnected with the cable and then double up on zip ties if you can. Use a pair of pliers to pull the zip tie 1 more notch past hand tight. You should still be able to rotate the Air 2 to a different orientation on the corrugated hose That is normal, don't worry about tightening the zip ties any more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom