Channel Islands diving: place to rent large tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to be doing a live aboard soon and I normally use HP130 tanks to get extended dive times for underwater photography. It was suggested to me to not take my own tanks to avoid having to get them O2 cleaned again. Are there any local dive shops there that rent HP120s or 130s? My minimum is definitely 100s if 120s can't be had.

Which dive op are you using?

If they're using banked Nitrox (as I they are), you don't need oxygen cleaned tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great operation. There is a dive shop on the dock where the boat is and I am almost positive they rent tanks. I would give them a call.

I assume his concern is keeping his cylinders clean for when he will returns home.

Sorry, I don't know of any shops renting larger cylinders.

If they're using banked Nitrox (as I they are), you don't need oxygen cleaned tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend of mine suggested against bringing my tanks because he said he brought his own on the same boat and ended up with water in them from the onboard fills, hence my questions. Is this a valid issue to be concerned about?

Yes.

At this point we basically have a set of "sacrificial" HP130s for boat diving here in SoCal (on board fills). Of our 20+ cylinders, those are the only ones needing a whip/tumble when VIPs come due...

A friend of mine suggested against bringing my tanks because he said he brought his own on the same boat and ended up with water in them from the onboard fills, hence my questions. Is this a valid issue to be concerned about?

Erf. That's not very good. I don't really have the option of $800 in throw away tanks.

I do boat dives almost exclusively. And yes, you do get wet fills, but as Rainer said, it's usually a tumble at VIS time but the tanks will still be good. Again, I would call them and see what tanks they rent from the shop. It is literally on the dock where the boat is moored. Then see what the rental fee is versus getting your tanks vis'd when you get done. If you do it right away, the tank may not need anything done except a rinse and dry. How is your relationship with your LDS? It might be next to nothing for them to open it up and give it a look.

And unless you are diving double 130's I would only bring one. Fills are full and fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom