Moving to Juneau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

surfinusa555

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Alaska Polar Bears! I'm moving to Juneau in about two weeks (permanent, not seasonal). I currently beach dive on a regular basis (1-2 dives/week) in California. Are there any dive clubs or regular beach divers up there? I plan on stopping by The Scuba Tank and checking out info on dry suits and local beach dives. Does anyone know if they rent dry suits? Do they service gear? Any tips?

Welcome to Juneau, Yes, the Scuba Tank does all the above for the time being. If Phil or someone doesn't buy the place real soon though they won't be around much longer. As far as finding buddies, the "Juneau Divers" Google group is pretty quiet but if you post there, you will more than likely get a response. We just aren't a chatty bunch. To sign up you need the zip code for Juneau - 99801.

welcome to alaska. i moved up here 10 years ago from socal and really like it. Have not been diving in Juneau, but have been down the Inside Passage. Hope you find Alaska as exciting as I do. Lots of interesting things going on all the time. I have heard the diving for king crab is pretty good in Juneau in December, but have not tried it. Been in Juneau maybe half a dozen times in 10 years and found it to be a pretty nice place, especially if you like the water.

Hello Alaska Polar Bears! I'm moving to Juneau in about two weeks (permanent, not seasonal). I currently beach dive on a regular basis (1-2 dives/week) in California. Are there any dive clubs or regular beach divers up there? I plan on stopping by The Scuba Tank and checking out info on dry suits and local beach dives. Does anyone know if they rent dry suits? Do they service gear? Any tips?

There are lots of good sites to dive from the beach here. Like Dave said you can find divers on that site, or by just hanging around the dive shop, hopefully it will stay open.
Would hate to see it close up. What line of work are you in, mind me asking?

Thanks for the replies everybody. Seems like the biggest adjustment wont be the diving itself, but diving in a small town atmosphere. I can't wait to meet some of you!

Hey thanks for asking. Yep, I've been here a month now. I haven't had a chance to dive yet because I still have to get a dry suit. I brought all my gear though, so I'm ready to go!

Nice, The diving will be cold but nice for another couple weeks then it will be crud until early June. Once June rolls around, it (the bloom/vis) should settle down and most of the summer is usually pretty good.

What are the water temps like in the summer? I'm trying to save enough money for a drysuit, but it's taking time. I would rent, but I don't have a drysuit cert. Do you think I will get away with using a wetsuit in June-August? I'm usually fine in a 7mm wetsuit for an hour dive until the temps dip into the 40s. Do you have some recommendations for dive sites to start out with? Thanks for responding and helping me out.

Temps will be in the 40's maybe even around 50 most of the summer. It's not so much the water temp that is a problem for wetsuits as the fact that it's only 50-60ish in the air with wind/rain most of the time in the summer. So you freeze your butt off after you get out of the water. Most/none of the shore sites have any facilities so you are changing on the side of the road.

Places to just get wet and get a feel for diving around here - Auke Rec, Ann Coleman, Sunshine Cove - all are real basic sites with east entry/exit and navigation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom