Technical Diving Reading List (add your book suggestions here)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I've put together a reading list of primary texts interesting to technical divers. Please feel free to add to the list, if you have suggestions.

Technical Diving From the Bottom Up by Kevin Gurr

Deco for Divers: Decompression Theory and Physiology by Mark Powell

Technical Diving Handbook by Gary Gentile

Introduction to Technical Diving by Rob Palmer

Essentials of Deeper Sport Diving by John Lippmann

Diving in Darkness: Beneath Rock, Under Ice, into Wrecks by Martyn Farr

UTD Student and Diver Procedure Manual by Andrew Georgitsis

Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving by Jarrod Jablonski

Mixed Gas Diving: The Ultimate Challenge for Technical Diving by Tom Mount

Caverns Measureless to Man by Sheck Exley

The Essentials of Cave Diving: Jill Heinerth's Guide to Cave Diving by Jill Heinerth

The Last Dive: A Father and Son's Fatal Descent into the Ocean's Depths by Bernie Chowdhury

The Cave Divers by Robert F. Burgess

Diving Physics with Bubble Mechanics and Decompression Theory in Depth by Bruce R Wienke

Basic Decompression Theory and Application 3rd Edition by Bruce R. Wienke

Advanced Wreck Diving Guide by Gary Gentile

Shipwreck Hunter: Deep, Dark & Deadly in the Great Lakes by Gerry Volgenau

Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and Survival by Phillip Finch

Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria by Kevin F. McMurray

Recreational Trimix Diving [Kindle Edition] by Kevin Evans

Technical Diving in Depth by Bruce R. Wienke

Fatally Flawed - The Quest to be Deepest by Verna van Schaik

DIR Rebreather: Nitrox Rebreather Diving by Cedric Verdier

I've put together a reading list of primary texts interesting to technical divers. Please feel free to add to the list, if you have suggestions.

Deco for Divers: Decompression Theory and Physiology by Mark Powell

I was in the pub with Mark last week, he never asked me to read his book once :D

EDIT:

I would add the IANTD Technical Diving Encyclopedia, the older version (not the Tao of underwater survival). Although rather dated the section on equipment configuration with Tom Mount, Jarrod Jablonksi, Kevin Gurr and Lamar Hires, makes for very interesting reading.

Last edited:
"The Six Skills and Other Discussions" by Steve Lewis.

Reactions: Jax
Thanks I'm going to read some of the ones I missed!
I've put together a reading list of primary texts interesting to technical divers. Please feel free to add to the list, if you have suggestions.Technical Diving From the Bottom Up by Kevin GurrDeco for Divers: Decompression Theory and Physiology by Mark PowellTechnical Diving Handbook by Gary GentileIntroduction to Technical Diving by Rob PalmerEssentials of Deeper Sport Diving by John LippmannDiving in Darkness: Beneath Rock, Under Ice, into Wrecks by Martyn FarrUTD Student and Diver Procedure Manual by Andrew GeorgitsisDoing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving by Jarrod JablonskiMixed Gas Diving: The Ultimate Challenge for Technical Diving by Tom MountCaverns Measureless to Man by Sheck ExleyThe Essentials of Cave Diving: Jill Heinerth's Guide to Cave Diving by Jill HeinerthThe Last Dive: A Father and Son's Fatal Descent into the Ocean's Depths by Bernie ChowdhuryThe Cave Divers by Robert F. BurgessDiving Physics with Bubble Mechanics and Decompression Theory in Depth by Bruce R Wienke Basic Decompression Theory and Application 3rd Edition by Bruce R. Wienke Advanced Wreck Diving Guide by Gary GentileShipwreck Hunter: Deep, Dark & Deadly in the Great Lakes by Gerry Volgenau Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and Survival by Phillip FinchDeep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria by Kevin F. McMurrayRecreational Trimix Diving [Kindle Edition] by Kevin EvansTechnical Diving in Depth by Bruce R. WienkeFatally Flawed - The Quest to be Deepest by Verna van SchaikDIR Rebreather: Nitrox Rebreather Diving by Cedric Verdier

There's a newer version of the Lippmann book: Lippmann & Mitchell, Deeper into Diving.

I also recommend Steve Lewis's book, and for more than just technical divers.

what would be the first book to read into technical diving.

I'm an engineer so it being scientific is fine but I'd like to understand more about decompression, equipment, procedures, history... etc...

I'm a PADI DM so I've read (and understood) the recreational diving encyclopaedia, and while not the bees knees of technical books, it's not as light on as I thought it'd be.

International Textbook of Mixed Gas Diving

While most of it is not related to SCUBA and is more focused on commercial/saturation diving, the information contained within is great for someone looking for something in between table heavy textbooks and the graduate level science of deco.pdf. (Which is also a great read, though better skimmed)

I just ordered the Six Skills book by Steve Lewis, from what ive read its a great read for any diver. But TSandM is right, there is a new book that is the most in depth that I have read on diving physiology and alot other dive related subjects, its called Deeper into diving 2nd edition. Ive been glued to that since it came in. Also, "Exploration and
Mixed Gas Diving Encyclopedia; The tao of survival underwater" - its also an awesome read. Again, tech oriented, but easy to read by any diver.
[h=3][/h]

"Into the Lions Mouth" by Michael Smart
"Commercial Diving - reference and operations handbook" by Mark Feitag & Anthony Woods
"A History of Oilfield Diving : An Industrial Adventure" by Christopher Swan

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson is a great read. It even has its own wikipedia page.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom