Flying before diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How long should you wait to dive after flying? is there a recommended time limit, or and unwritten rule of how long to wait after flying before diving??

There really is no limit. The only potential issue might be some dehydration, which is common on air trips, but the importance of that is debatable.

I don't think this is a real concern, though I'm no expert in dive physiology. The concern relates to flying after diving and it's what you heard in your OW class -- you still have excess nitrogen in your system that can off-gas at the reduced pressure at altitude. Typical recommendations are to wait 18-24 hours. I can't see why flying before diving would pose a risk other than tangential things like dehydration, which can enhance DCS risk. I've never worried about it.

The general guidelines (and YMMV) are that it's dependent on how you feel and what sort of flight you've just done. There aren't the same kind of issues as flying after diving but you will want to make sure that:

1) you're properly hydrated since aircraft air is very dry
2) If you've been drinking alcohol on the flights, don't dive that day
3) If it's a red-eye or an excessively long flight at the back of the bus, make sure you're not tired or cramped - i.e. get some rest or exercise before jumping in.
4) the type of dive and location is weighed up. e.g. a shallow familiarization dive around the home reef is substantially different from a deep wall dive in current.

Enjoy!

Flight will be 1 1/2 hours, so should be a problem with hydration.

In that case you can have them glide low over the water while you jump out of the plane fully geared up like a Navy Seal. They probably won't allow that, though.

In that case you can have them glide low over the water while you jump out of the plane fully geared up like a Navy Seal. They probably won't allow that, though.

Make sure you do a negative entry in this case. If you can get enough altitude you may require a parachute. Pull at the last second to slow you down then do a cut away and DIVE DIVE DIVE!!!

I do believe the general consensus for concern is flying after diving not the other way around, although it really depends on the length of the flight. If you're crammed in like a sardine for 16 hours and have barely slept and only drank alcohol then you might want to give diving a miss for a day. Maybe even 2! :wink:

I put this same question out about a year ago and ended up diving about 4 hours after I landed. Flying after diving, not so great but flying before diving, no worries. Well, dehydration could be an issue but on short flights it's probably less of an issue.

Dehydration is not an issue if you stay Hydrated! We always carry water when we travel.

There is no medical reason why you can not dive within 5 minutes of landing! There may be plenty of linguistics issues.

I've hit the water in under 60 minutes after landing on trips to Hawaii and Seattle. Helps to have a dive buddy ready to pick you up and only carry on luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom