New truck needs new tank holder..going home made any ideas??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbomb001

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
so i just bought a new truck "ford ranger four door" im single no kids so the back seats are more or less a wast. so im thinking of taking the two back seats out and mounting a single tank holder where each seat is now and am looking for ideas as to how to go about it... im very handy but do not want to do a whole lot of trial and error so anybody that has a good idea let me hear it ....LOOKS COUNT!! lol and it must be solid as well dont want a tank in the back of the head if god forbid i crash on my way to the lake!!....i was thinking something like two tank bands one on the upper half and one lower bolted to the inside of the cab or something along those lines?? OK lets hear em!:eyebrow:

Nah. IMO, you might double date one day. My sport trac was the ultimate dive vehicle. I could easily carry 6 or more tanks in the bed under a Tunoughe (sp) plus other gear in the bed with overflow in the cab. The tail gate was perfect height for gearing up. And I could take the whole famned damilly to Disney World.

That is WHY you buy a truck, to keep tanks out of the passenger compartment?????? You think a roll control is going to hold a tank in a bad accident???

If you go to google images and search for scuba tank holders, there's heaps of different designs to look at. Or ask in the DIY forum maybe?

I wouldn't pull the seats for tanks in fact I wouldn't pull the seats for anything (it's a good place for putting other gear or even friends etc) Fab something for the box or buy something. I'd tell you what I'm going to use but then again it's patent pending so you'll have to wait ;-)

Yeah, I'm not too sure about something like that, especially in an accident. I'm thinking of something in wood, in which I can lay the tanks and put a strap over them, as well as tie down the holder to the truck.

You secure the tanks with whatever makes you happy. You could also build a base to secure the bottom of the tanks. Think dive boat configuration. You can have a whole line of tanks. I would store them in the bed of the truck, but that's up to the owner. My solution is hardly complete, just providing ideas. Use some imagination! :D

I have float tubes that I put between my tanks and I lay them down. My tubes are held together with nylon rope. I think that approach ran me big bucks, like maybe $3. Keeps the tanks in place and prevents rattling.

You secure the tanks with whatever makes you happy. You could also build a base to secure the bottom of the tanks. Think dive boat configuration. You can have a whole line of tanks. I would store them in the bed of the truck, but that's up to the owner. My solution is hardly complete, just providing ideas. Use some imagination! :D

I have float tubes that I put between my tanks and I lay them down. My tubes are held together with nylon rope. I think that approach ran me big bucks, like maybe $3. Keeps the tanks in place and prevents rattling.

I did this and run 4-6 tanks, depending on where I am going, in the bed of my pickup along with the rest of my gear and then I secure it all by locking the tailgate and tonneau cover. I would keep the tanks out of the cab with you, you are creating a risk of a potentially fatal flying object in an emergency situation and you are taking up valuable people/cargo space.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom