Just earned my open water dive certification.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jetdoc3037

Registered
Reaction score
Arrived back from the Keys yesterday. I received my open water diving certification from PADI. I used Conch Divers for my owd's.

The two dives on saturday were pretty nice, air temp was in 80's with calm water, no real currents to speak of. Sunday was different story, windy with a 5' chop. The second dive we could not make headway to the boat, the current kept pushing us away, so we ascended and the instructor had to signal the boat to pick us up....it took like 5 mins but he finally saw us and came over.

We saw sea turtles, eels, stingrays, barracuda, and a million fish....I had so much fun and I am happy to be an open water diver.

Congratulations! You're obviously addicted already. Where are you going next? We're heading to Key Largo this weekend. I'm ready for some warm water.

Largo is a Great place to learn. As you likely realize now, the ocean is not very forgiving. The keys are a perfect spot for new divers and seasoned divers alike. Conch Republic is my choice of dive Ops in the keys as well. The Adventure Begins! One basic Rule, don't die diving! :D

Congratulations! You're obviously addicted already. Where are you going next? We're heading to Key Largo this weekend. I'm ready for some warm water.

Nice...well I plan on going next month, prob back to Key Largo again...or another part of the Keys, just trying to figure where to go.

Largo is a Great place to learn. As you likely realize now, the ocean is not very forgiving. The keys are a perfect spot for new divers and seasoned divers alike. Conch Republic is my choice of dive Ops in the keys as well. The Adventure Begins! One basic Rule, don't die diving! :D

Yes the owner of the shop said it was a good experience to have under my belt. The Capt almost called dive off, but said it was ok. It was only me, the instructor and another open water diver who just wanted to have a local diver to dive with....

I didn't bring this up to the instructor later but I wonder why we didn't descend and swim underwater towards boat? The other diver was starting to do that, and my instinct told me to do that, but the instructor wanted us to stay....so we did.

Glad Conch is a good dive shop, they seemed professional and a well run organization.

As you likely realize now, the ocean is not very forgiving.:D

Amen to that. East Australian current is a mother of a current sometimes. Respect the ocean and it may respect you back. Congrats on OW!!!

Congratulations!

Thanks guys...to be honest, and maybe it shows my lack challenging myself in a long time, but doing this course was a big accomplishment for me and I am very proud. I think since Marine Corps bootcamp, this may have been one of the most challenging things I've done in many years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom