Weather preventing diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
People talk about weather preventing their dives.

This makes sense to me when you're shore diving, because the waves/swells are difficult to manage even when they're not very big.

But when you're out on the water in a boat, how bad does it have to be to prevent diving? After all, you're going to be under the water, not at the surface (primarily).

I do understand that the surface weather does cause currents under the surface. I just wonder how bad the weather has to be at the surface to make a boat dive impractical.

If the wind is above 20 knots and/or seas are over 6 ft, I stay in. Heck, I live here in Key Largo, so I dive when it's nice. :D

Matt, the big problem with boat diving in heavy seas isn't getting into the water or even diving in the water--it's getting back on the boat! This can range from challenging to downright dangerous.

And then there's sea sickness. It doesn't really matter what sort of vehicle you're traveling in, boat, plane, car--when the weather is terrible, it just takes all the joy out of it.

Last edited:
I can only speak from personal experience - but weather cancellations are generally due to the impact the weather has on surface conditions. It's important not to underestimate the impact that weather can have on those conditions. I've not had a lot of dives cancelled, but weather cancellations include the following:
- Gale force winds and big seas
- Strong off-shore winds that resulted in the surf conditions for a shore launch of the RIB being too dangerous
- Lightning (also in a RIB context)
- A tropical cyclone (I think it's called a hurricane where you are)
- &, this is a bit of a stretch, but a period of warmer weather in one of our cold water destinations saw a red tide bloom - the red tide turns the sea toxic and all diving was cancelled for the duration of the long weekend.

All the ones mentioned above caused cancellations because of the dangers those conditions posed - however, weather can also make it too unpleasant to dive, so it is sometimes better just not to bother.

People talk about weather preventing their dives.

This makes sense to me when you're shore diving, because the waves/swells are difficult to manage even when they're not very big.

But when you're out on the water in a boat, how bad does it have to be to prevent diving? After all, you're going to be under the water, not at the surface (primarily).

I do understand that the surface weather does cause currents under the surface. I just wonder how bad the weather has to be at the surface to make a boat dive impractical.

Matt getting back on a pitching boat in 6 foot seas with a short wave interval (time between wave crests) can be difficult especially with all your gear on. Grabbing the ladder and getting up to the dive platform can stress out the most experienced divers. When that boat is above you it looks huge and heavy. As a matter of fact, I guess it is....
A lot of boats won't even go out in high seas.
Another factor is viz and current...depending upon where you are diving these could be effected by the seas.
Seasickness has been mentioned too, I've seen folks "go green" during their safety stops, and at the surface while waiting for pick up if you are prone to motion sickness the waves are no treat.

Unless you are on a vacation and have real time constraints or working: "when the waves are high...stay dry, when waves are low... then off you go"!

Yeah, six-footers usually stops the diving. Really tough getting back on the boat. Other things are heavy currents and bad visibility.

as others have said its usually the getting back on the boat that can cause the real problems, ditto back to shore if the waves are crashing.

It's all a matter of timing! As the boat dips down, you step up. :D

I remember getting up more than one ladder in one giant hop. It's when the seas are not consistent that things really get dicey. If students are involved, I draw the line at 3 foot seas, or go find a sheltered shore dive.

Large swells seem to be the biggest problem around Monterey. Also depends on the audience. The local DIR boat usually won't run if it looks like divers will get tossed 6 feet or more back and forth underwater. However, recreational boats will run in worse conditions because less can go wrong. Another factor is here, we have the option to either go out of the bay which has more features (but often worse weather) or stay in the bay which is suitable for recreational divers. (Though it doesn't get all that deep)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom