Weight placement problems? or is it something else...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AngelMaire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,I dive in a Zuma with about 7kilos in weights. 4 in the integrated pockets and 3 in trim pockets on the tank strap.

On my last trip, I was diving with my usual amount of weights in the same placements as I've had them. No problems going down and was perfect while I was in the dive. BUT! When it came to my safety stop, I found that I could not be horizontal, I had to complete my safety stop vertical to avoid shooting up. Note that I have no air in my BC.

So I thought, maybe add one weight in the next dive....but when I did that, I was too heavy on my safety stop.

What could be the problem here? Any suggestions would be great!Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:
Perhaps you didn't get all the air out of your BC on the problematic dive? I've had this sometimes when I rented and it was unfamiliar (good reason to own). Is your BC new to you? The other thing is that if this was your first dive of the trip, your exposure suit can be more bouyant since it starts dry and is "fluffed." After the first dive it compresses and everything goes back to normal. This can especially be the case with a new suit. It will get noticably less bouyant after the first few dives. Is your suit new? As for needing to stay horizonal to avoid popping, I don't get why you would be more or less bouyant based on your attitude in the water. I've never hear that and it doesn't make any sense to me. Good luck!

hey t-mac,

I've been diving the zuma for a year now, and this is the second time it has happened to me, and yes, on the first dive both times. I'm also thinking there might be trapped air somewhere, cos like you said, it doesn't make sense for buoyancy to be affected by positioning. I am trying to figure out if there are any other issues that might cause it. =)

I've been diving a bit heavy since the first time it happened just cos I didn't want to worry too much about it, maybe I'll just stick to that since it doesn't really affect my dive times and air consumption...heheheh.

I don't dive with a suit, it's too warm here. It's just a rash and swim shorts over my swimsuit for me.

But thanks anyway for the reply. I'll keep an eye out for trapped air next time.

are you kicking your feet? it's amazing how many people do this subconsciously to balance while vertical in the water.
why is it a problem to be horizontal during your stop? this is actually the preferred position to be in, and allows more efficient off gassing.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=17.744430,-64.705637

oh wait....i think i may have gotten my vertical and horizontals mixed up again.... teaches me to ask question at 5am...hahaha

what I REALLY meant is that I shoot while horizontal...so I do stops vertical to avoid it.... *facepalm*

to answer your question, I usually cross my fins to avoid that, so I wasn't kicking.

This is a tricky one! Trapped air is a good suggestion - but, if the air is trapped, then I can't see why that would only affect you in one particular position... horizontal OR vertical! :wink:

Seeing as you're not diving with a wetsuit (lucky you!), I would suggest the fact that your cylinder becomes progressively more buoyant towards the end of the dive might be the issue. Is it also possible that you are using more air on your first dive, and therefore having more problems remaining neutral on your safety stop because of it? Try adjusting the position of your weights or even cylinder on your back when setting up your kit, that might make a difference.

For divers more experienced than myself in diving without exposure protection, it could help them to provide you with a more definitive answer if you let them know what type and size of cylinder you are diving... aluminium becomes more buoyant during a dive than steel, for example.

HTH! :wink:

Hey all,
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. Figures that the problem was my breathing on those problematic dives*whacks self*. All is well now...woot! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom