Dive Buddy Pick-ups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be going on my third dive trip soon, and unlike my first two on this one I'll be solo. I'm just wondering what it's like trying to find a buddy on the fly. Do you just walk up to random people and ask them if they'd like to dive?

And if you do go diving with a complete stranger, what's it like?

I'll be going on the morning boat dives each day, and taking a course each afternoon. I won't need to hunt up a buddy for either of these activities. But if I wanted to go on a night dive, or an afternoon shore dive, I'd need a buddy.

I would imagine that a night dive would include a guide so no buddy would be necessary. Most of my diving is boat dives with outfits who provide a guide automatically, day or night. You probably would lose a buddy right away in the dark anyway. All daylight dives off of a boat which I have done they matched me up with another diver or two if a guide is not provided. Whatever the case, my dive 'buddy', to me, is just another tank of air nearby which I might need in an emergency. I don't depend on them for anything else except maybe their ability to navigate so I don't have to and hopefully they don't get in any trouble on their own because I would be almost useless in helping them.

Matt, check with "local subforum" here on scubaboard for buddies where you're going. I've had good luck arranging meetups through here, though a couple ended up falling through due to changes in my plans.

Insta-buddies are very hit or miss. All of my dive buddies have been insta-buddies. I found them enthusiastic, though out of practice (all vacation divers or just getting back into the sport) and certainly within tolerable limits of my newb status despite their dive experience. The key is talking to them before hitting the water. Set goals you both are interested in for the dive. Perform a good pre-dive buddy check (a lot of people don't--especially vacation divers) and establish some underwater communications signals and I think you'll find everything is good. So far I haven't found the "same ocean buddy" that a lot of people worry about, but that may be because if someone swims away I just swim with them as long as it's safe. I don't generally have any preconceived ideas of what my dive will be other than depth and gas levels for turn-around. That makes it pretty easy to be my buddy.

As for night diving losing a buddy, I don't know why that would happen. My night dives with insta-buddies (4 so far) have all been quite successful. If it did happen, your OW class should have given you lost buddy protocols that you should follow.

I'll be going on my third dive trip soon, and unlike my first two on this one I'll be solo. I'm just wondering what it's like trying to find a buddy on the fly. Do you just walk up to random people and ask them if they'd like to dive?

And if you do go diving with a complete stranger, what's it like?
I'd ask the dive op if some help could be provided matching you up with a buddy.

In my experience, insta-buddy experiences can be really good or really bad but most are somewhere in-between.
For the most part, my experiences buddying up with newly certified divers have been relatively positive.
I've had good and bad experiences buddying up with experienced divers.
I'd recommend steering clear of the people with large photo rigs if you like to cover a lot of ground on a dive.

If I am by myself and need a buddy (which isn't often), asking random people on the boat is definitely an option. It would be best to seek out another lone diver who has the same dive goals and sensibilities as you. Don't take it personally if a lone diver or dive team politely declines your offer to buddy up. Experienced divers understand that a buddy can add or detract from the enjoyment of a dive. Throwing in a stranger/unknown quantity can add stress/risk to the dive equation. Many people refuse to take the risk of spoiling a dive by accepting a stranger as a buddy. :idk:

If you do buddy up with a stranger, please make sure that you spend time getting to know the person and his gear prior to the dive. The two of you should be on the same page with respect to emergency procedures, lost buddy protocol, hand signals, dive logistics, etc.
I'll be going on the morning boat dives each day, and taking a course each afternoon. I won't need to hunt up a buddy for either of these activities. But if I wanted to go on a night dive, or an afternoon shore dive, I'd need a buddy.
You might get lucky and find a compatible dive buddy on one of your morning dives or in class.
If you do, you could offer to buddy up with them for more dives later on in the day.

If you tell the dive op you want a buddy, they will generally make an effort to find one for you.

As BubbleTrubble said, it is CRITICALLY important to talk to your instabuddy before you ever get in the water. Make sure you have compatible goals for the dive -- it's not fun for either person, if a high speed tourer gets matched with a photographer. Make sure you set parameters for the dive -- agree on max depth, and what you will and won't do (eg. swimthroughs, wreck penetration, etc.). Talk about gas limits and go over numbering systems and signals. Discuss protocols -- are you going to descend and ascend together, or if one of you gets low on gas, is the other one going to keep diving? Go over one another's equipment -- make sure you know how his inflator works (literally which button does what, because some of them are very strange), where his weights are and how to ditch them, and what he's going to donate if you're low on gas.

If your instabuddy doesn't want to take the time to do this, find another one.

Most of the "instabuddy" horror stories you read here on SB could have been avoided by good communication on the boat or shore, before the dive began.

Thank-you, everyone, for the tips.

I like the suggestion to make friends on the boat for afternoon or evening dives.

I think a guided night dive would be best for my first night dive, since I've never done one. Perhaps I can get a group together for a night shore dive, and get one of the dive masters there to lead it.

Yeah, what they all said. Hit or miss with insta-buddies. The usual things should be discussed beforehand--depth, time, returning pressure, etc. Two things I think of are to try to impress upon the buddy (if necessary) the importance of staying (very) close together, especially if the viz might not be great. And both of you do your best to keep track of where the anchor line is.

hey, throw in a language barrier, and it becomes even more "fun".....

Group leaders are not buddies. With luck you can find a compatible buddy. TS&M gave good advice. The selection may be limited. For me finding a laid back experienced buddy has been a challenge. I often end up becoming a leader, and dealing with others air, buoyancy and taking them to the surface before my dive is over. That's fine as long as they are easy to dive with. Some act like they are in a race! If that happens I let them go. They either settle down, or they are gone.

I have hooked up with some great buddies, but that has been a rare occurrence. Make sure you do a walk through before the dive so you know what to expect, where things are and how they work, how to descend/ascend/dive together, and how to end the dive. Discuss what ifs like what if you/your buddy can not clear, what if you get separated, etc.

Diving at night can be a challenge. Review signals and have a good plan so you stay together. I would keep night dives shallow if possible. Good dive lights help. Here is an inexpensive option. I have dove with them for 5+ years and they get better as the technology advances. IMO you want a light with a narrow beam as they make wide beams as well. Wide beams are good in clear water but narrow beams are more all purpose. These lights are compact, metal, well made, and lightweight. Get rechargeable batteries for this.

Intova Nova Waterproof Torch IFL 660 B&H Photo Video
Pearstone Dual-Bay Rapid Charger for CR-123A & ADC-CR2 B&H

Have Fun

More often than not, I've arrived alone and gotten a pick-up or "insta-" buddy, usually with help from the boat captain or DM. It's almost always worked out well. Follow the good advice given above and don't be shy about the "interview" and doing the mutual gear check. Understand how each other signals psi, what your objective for the dive is, and when to turn and head back. I carry a slate just in case.

It can be rewarding to find a diver of roughly equal ability, or learn from a better one, or help a less-experienced one along. Mostly it depends on my own attitude, i've found.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom