Trouble in Cave Country

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jill Heinerth

RebreatherPro
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I really wanted to share lots of great happy stories about how people are taking action and beginning to understand their local water resources, but I guess the story is really not all rosy. Our current Governor Rick Scott has made a mess of our Water Management Districts in Florida and now we are losing the chair of the Suwannee River Water Management District, the governing district over most of our cave dives. He is quitting over complete frustration and Scott is looking at replacing him with a PR man instead of a scientist.

We all need to educate ourselves about the local politics and act where we can.

Suwannee River Water Management District chief quits, warns Senate panel about water policy | The Florida Current

I had the opportunity to talk with Jill about this in her home, just across the street from Ginnie Springs. It's unreal how cavalier the state has become with one of our most precious resources. Businesses love it because they have fewer restrictions in how they pollute our state. Unfortunately, the ecosystems are incredibly fragile and suffered before these laws were enacted. It's important that we communicate to our senators and congressmen and let them know that we aren't happy with this and we vote.

The "We are Water Project" is going to give all of us a chance to band together and protect our karsts and watersheds. I am honored that Jill has elected to have us host this here and I look forward to hearing a lot more about what we can do.

Jill, It goes back further than Scott [ he's just a 'front man' for the special interests]...It was Bush [you know the 'Bush-Boys', dumb, dumber and dumbest !!! ] who paved the way for what has and will happen in the future......Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the 'Board'.......The best way to stop this and many other 'self-serving' entities, is to become informed, then get out and vote....And if candidates who make 'promises' don't live up to them, get ready to impeach them !!!....If we impeach enough of them and pass very tough 'anti-lobbying, special-interest' laws [it'll take time] then hopefully we'll have a healthy environment to leave to the children......

The republican's are in the process of defunding the water management districts and DEP. They have rescinded the previously approved phase out of the sewage spewing ocean outfalls and and doing everything they can to streamline the regulator process... Florida is "open for business".... This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Back
Top Bottom