Did Stupid Diver Trick Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm in San Carlos, Mexico this week and it's been very windy. We finally had a good day to dive today and I wanted to try out my new Ikelite case before a big trip next month. I have three wetsuits, a 1 mm, a 3 mm, and a 5 mm. I use the 1 mm in the Caribbean and did a lot of diving with that over New Years. I keep the other two here in San Carlos. I thought that the 5 mm was the one in the drawer and that the 3 mm was on the hanger. Nope. Jumped in 58 degree water with the 3 mm, but weighted for the 5 mm. Because I've been diving with the thin suit, I thought the 3 mm felt thick.

It was a solo dive in 30-50 feet and my boyfriend/instructor was keeping an eye on me from my boat. I couldn't figure out why my buoyancy control was so bad and then the massive chill came over me. I popped after 15 minutes and spent the next 30 minutes trying to warm up. I couldn't figure it out until I saw the number on the sleeve. Doh!

I'm in San Carlos, Mexico this week and it's been very windy. We finally had a good day to dive today and I wanted to try out my new Ikelite case before a big trip next month. I have three wetsuits, a 1 mm, a 3 mm, and a 5 mm. I use the 1 mm in the Caribbean and did a lot of diving with that over New Years. I keep the other two here in San Carlos. I thought that the 5 mm was the one in the drawer and that the 3 mm was on the hanger. Nope. Jumped in 58 degree water with the 3 mm, but weighted for the 5 mm. Because I've been diving with the thin suit, I thought the 3 mm felt thick.

It was a solo dive in 30-50 feet and my boyfriend/instructor was keeping an eye on me from my boat. I couldn't figure out why my buoyancy control was so bad and then the massive chill came over me. I popped after 15 minutes and spent the next 30 minutes trying to warm up. I couldn't figure it out until I saw the number on the sleeve. Doh!

Ack! :fear:

No way can I handle 58 wet! You are my heroine! :worship:

I'm okay with it, if I'm in my 5 mm with the diveskin underneath. One other time I had the 3 mm on at that temperature. Unfortunately, I was helping my boyfriend with a Discover Scuba class as part of my DM training. My job was to make sure the students kept their hands on the anchor line while he and the DM were working with them one by one. After about 30 minutes of that, I couldn't feel my fingers!

My husband did something almost as bad. He tried to get into MY wetsuit, and then sat around complaining about how tight it was.

Last dive trip a woman on the boat put my wet suit on by mistake. We both had the same model suit, but I am 6'1" and she was 5'4" and petite. I watched her pick it up and put it on without saying anything. I watched as it slid right on without any pulling and tugging. She looked a little perplexed the whole time, but didn't figure it out until she stood up and realized how much extra suit there was. She looked around and I was standing there with her suit asking the DM if he shrunk it by leaving it in the sun. Fun was had by all. I told her it was ok, and that I didn't think I peed in it that morning! EeeWW Gross!

Back
Top Bottom