Dry Gloves with neoprene suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi I have just got my first Dry suit, it's a seamaster typhoon 3mm crushed neoprene one. How do I attache a set of dry gloves to it and how? I have asked at a diving shop but they were not much help. Does any one have one of these suit with dry gloves?

Thanks

Dry gloves with a latex seal are worn as you would wear a normal glove. If you are talking about the detachable dry gloves with the ring systems they should come with instructions when you buy them.
I dived with dry gloves for about a year and wouldn't recommend them, I got through three pairs (two in one week last month), you only need to get a small hole in them and they are useless. The last time I dived with them I ripped a 2 inch hole in one of the fingers and had to do 20 Min's of deco in a suit full of cold water, everyone on the boat on the trip back found it funny though.
For the same price you can buy a pair of 3mm and a pair of 5 mm neoprene gloves, which is what I did.
Oh yeah nearly forgot when I took the rings off they had ruined the seals on my dry suit as well.

Rather than buy the commercially available gloves, which are expensive, just get a pair of blue gloves from the local salmon farm supplier and glue a pair of latex seals onto them - works out at £10-15 - this type take far more abuse.
Not sure how it works on neoprene seals, but on latex just put them over the suit seals and run a shoe-lace or something under the seal, it allow it to equalise. That way if you do get flooded gloves you don't gett _too_ wet. and ( theorectically) you could pull out the lace to stop any water getting in.

I haven't tried dry gloves yet, mostly because most divers I know use them for a season or so, and then go back to wet gloves.

Try using three-finger mittens, it works splendidly

Hi,

I dive dry gloves with the ring system and I don't plan to switch back. My hands used to ache for a day or two after every "cold water" dive. Now they feel great the whole dive and I no longer have any trouble getting out of my gear afterwards due to stiff fingers.

I don't seem to have issues with holes in the gloves as I normaly never touch anything but equipment that came with me when I dive. I suppose I might rip one on a ladder or something someday but it hasn't happened yet. :wink:

After 7 years of diving (I'm now a part time DM) I still dive the first pair of "wet" gloves I ever bought as well. The only "wear' they show is that there is a small rip in the wrist of one from when I pulled too hard putting it on once and a few loose threads around the seams.

If you are going after lobsters or doing wreck penetrations and/or grabbing sharp stuff and digging in the bottom you will likely put much more wear and tear on gloves than I do though.

the_dumper once bubbled...

I dived with dry gloves for about a year and wouldn't recommend them, I got through three pairs (two in one week last month), you only need to get a small hole in them and they are useless.

You're awful tough on gloves then. I use concrete finishing gloves that cost $2.50/pair and have yet to hole one. I also have inner wrist seals so I won't flood the suit even if I do.

You can get rubber outer rings made buy OS I believe that will fit over existing latex seals. You can then just stretch gloves like I'm using over the ring and presto, drygloves that still have an inner seal.

Diving wet stinks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom