West Seattle incident Sunday Feb 19th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the Coast Guard's News Release: News Release: Coast Guard assisting with search for missing diver in West Seattle

"
SEATTLE — The Coast Guard, Seattle Fire and Seattle Police Departments are searching for a missing diver near West Seattle's Sea Crest Marina, Sunday.

The Coast Guard, and Seattle Police and Fire was notified by 911 dispatch after four people were diving and only three ascended. One of the divers yelled for people on shore to call 911. The missing diver is a male, in his 20's, and he was wearing a black dry suit.

A Coast Guard Station Seattle 25-foot Response Boat-Medium and an MH-65C Dolphin Helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Port Angeles, Wash., joined Seattle Harbor Patrol and the Seattle Fire Boat Leschi in the search. Dive teams from Seattle Fire and Seattle Police Depts. are on scene.

For more information on the Coast Guard's role, contact Petty Officer Zachary Crawford, 13th Coast Guard District Public Affairs duty officer, at (206) 251-2315."

The information I've found so far is that it was a 29 year old man with about 50 dives, doing the deep dive from his AOW with a buddy and an instructor. About 10 minutes into the dive, he indicated he was cold, and the instructor signed that they would return to shore. Shortly thereafter, he appeared distressed and began to ascend rapidly. His buddy tried to go up with him but didn't want to go that fast; when she got to the surface, he was nowhere to be seen. Shore watchers were immediately alerted and 911 called. This was approximately 11 am, and there has been no sign of him yet. The police effort is a recovery now. The cove is closed.

Looks like the like I the link I posted has updated to story- the victim was located and recovered.

I wish the best for the family- this will be hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom