Is an integrated Oct reg BC a good idea or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people love the integrated octo. They say that in an emergency the panicked diver will rush for your main regulator and then you have your safe integrated octo near you. For this, your main second should have a longer than normal hose.
The people that don't like it says that it's a tranquilizer fact that your safe second, with it's yellow colour, it's there for your buddy if he needs it.
Normally you will service your whole reg once a year. Your BCD not.
With the integrated octo, your BCD is part of your reg, so you need to include it in the yearly service.
I would not want to think in an emergency ascent sharing air with your buddy with an integrated octo....
Just my thoughts.

Yes, go with the AIR ( Alternate Inflator Regulator ) II type device. More streamlined, less expensive. Less is better!

Why do you think they call it an OCT.?

All the hoses!

With an integrated octo, you lose one hose. However, you also lose a comfortable and easy way to control your buoyancy when you really do have to have another diver breathing your primary.

I was sold on the integrated octo and dove happily with it. That is, until my buddy ran out of air and I had to have him breath off my primary and control our ascent. Last time I used one.

I am not of fan of the low pressure inflator alternate air source, but one of my closest dive buddies is. It's more a matter of personal taste for him, but as a working dive pro, leading other divers or teaching I think it prudent to have the standard set up, as I am the "go to guy" in air emergencies. As far as the "comfort issue is you have to share air with the low pressure inflator alternate air source, you donate you primary and use your alternate. It's for emergencies, and comfort doesn't really enter into it. However, if you use that set up, I would suggest practice an ascent breathing off of the alternate now and then just to know and master the dynamics of buoyancy control when using the equipment in that manner.
DivemasterDennis

Try using the search feature, you will find more info than you will want to read. The main consensus is they are great until you have to use them. I would suggest trying one if you can first before you buy, I don't mean just doing a dive and letting it float there and not use it. Make a dive and use it for breathing and buoyancy control at the same time. I found the AIR2 was very uncomfortable to breath as it was always pulling on my mouth and needed a much longer corrugated hose which would hang to low and drag when not using it. I now use a bunged back up and I'm much happier.

I learned and started off with a dedicated second, then switched to an integrated inflator a few years later, then switched back a few years after that. I liked having one less hose to deal with, but my integrated inflator, Atomic's SS1, always felt a bit clunky hanging off my shoulder whereas the dedicated octo isn't noticeable once in the water.

I'm keeping the SS1, though, just in case I change my mind yet again...

I love mine. I have been diving with an AIR II since 91 when I was certified and wouldn't have it any other way. Like DDennis said, comfort has little to do with it. Once in a while during a dive I'll switch over to mine and use it for a few minutes. Is it as comfortable as my primary.....no. But it doesn't need to be. In the case of an emergency I'm only going to be using it for a few minutes and it's more than fine for that.

Also, if you know and understand how to use your equipment and practice doing so, sharing air with someone else should not be an issue and neither should you have problems controlling your buoyancy while sharing air. It's really pretty easy for the skilled diver.

I thought an integrated octo was a good idea, but my LDS talked me out of it. I'm glad he did. The more I learn, the less I like them (for me).

For ME, I like my air 2. Every dive trip I practice breathing through it. Yeah, it is not as comfortable as my atomic but hey, I don't use it except in 2 circumstances, 1, to practice, 2 if my buddy needs my primary. I have something over 200 dives and (Knock on wood) I have never had to use it for reason #2. For that reason I find the convenience and streamline profile, worth it. Many of the critics talk about how uncomfortable it is compared to a standard reg. Well how long do you expect to need it? Only to the surface! for that I'll bear it. I do get my BC serviced every yr.

Back
Top Bottom